BIOS checksum error

Thread: BIOS checksum error

Smile BIOS checksum error

A friend of mine just gave me a motherboard and I installed it, but when i start the pc It shows and error message that says checksum error (bios)

Does any one knows what shoul I do??....please I need help.

Your request has been moved to a thread of it's own because you asked a question, the thread you posted in was for tips and tricks.

You need to reset the bios - what is the make and model of the motherboard?
    Most motherboards can be reset using a jumper which is often found near the battery. The error you have can often be cleared by going into bios and setting it to defaults. In extreme cases, you may need to flash the bios.

If you post your motherboard make and model, we can answer your question more precisely.... oh and welcome to Windrivers.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

1. Some of motherboards are resetting BIOS, if hardware config is changed (added network card/ sound/ videocard etc)... I've seen it many times and generally after setting up data/time and some another options MB will work fine... till next hardware change...
    2. Could be just only a bad battery (voltage dropped below 2,6V)... Try to set the date/time and see if MB will hold it next day... If the same error will come back again, try to test the battery with multimeter and/or replace it.
    3. Try to reset CMOS by jumper - refer to the manual. Check if that jumper is placed in proper place,by the way...
    The manual and othe info about your MB you can find by using different PC hardware info utilities from www.hwinfo.com , www.sysinfolab.com ,www.lavalys.com

Hello guys

First than anything I want to thank you for your tips

As the motherboard was given to me I only have a few information

This is the info I have:
    AM37 KM32807271

DDR 266
    200/266MHz FSB
    ATA 66/100/133 support
    4 USB 2.0 ports
    Embedded Audio, LAN option

Phoenix Bios 2001

chipset:VIA 8235

PMC flash B9R5F

Fortunatelly I found a web page with all the information about my motherboard:

http://www.fic.com.tw/product/mother...x?model_id=107

Thanks, I hope this info can give you a clue of what the problem is

This MB comes in few different revisions:

1. First of all, an original FIC retail version listed on FIC web site (you have found it).

2. Version made by FIC for E-machines (an OEM board). Almost the same as original except for BIOS (also 2 Mbit chip in socket, though, but different BIOS content). http://parts.emachines.com/emachines...oduct_Id=69039

3. Version made by FIC for HP (BIOS chip is 4-Mbit and soldered into the board). http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bph07941

If someone had flashed wrong BIOS version it could be reason why you're getting that error message... It is fixable...
    However, it could be just only a bad battery or wrong BIOS settings... You ca try to clear BIOS settings first - jumper is located near the floppy connector...