Wireless Network Cant connect!! HELP!!

Thread: Wireless Network Cant connect!! HELP!!

Question Wireless Network Cant connect!! HELP!!

Hi,

I have a wireless internet connection at home which is shared between 2 computers. Recently i have had to reboot the second computer, it can now connect to the wireless network but cannot access the internet.

First i thought it may have to do with the updates on the computer so i installed SP2 for Win XP, i also selected the "Automatically detect LAN settings" on the internet options.
    The other computer connects via a usb wifi device which has a range of 1 Mile, The only problem is the internet connection, it connects to the network with an excellent signal.

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Give me chocolate or give me DEATH!

What type of Internet service do you have? Im assuming its DSL or Cable .. try unplugging power to the cable/dsl modem and the router. Power up the cable/dsl modem first, give the device a minute or two to stablise then power up the router. Give the router a minute or two to stablise. Renew the ip address on the pc and attempt to connect to the Internet ..
    Is the problem just wireless or does a pc connected by ethernet cable have the same issue?
    As long as all your computers arnt infected with hijacker type spyware this proceedure should work
    This is the usual fix for your problem .. goodluck
    Reinstalling Windows to resolve an issue is Like cracking a Walnut with a Sledge Hammer. The Walnut will crack. But whats the point if nothing salvageable remains

Thanks for the info, tried it and the problem stays, when connected by ethernet cable the internet connects but i need it while using a wifi device as it involves too much wiring.

Did you say that a certain spyware may be affecting the connection?

Quote Originally Posted by po_jo_45
    Hi,

I have a wireless internet connection at home which is shared between 2 computers. Recently i have had to reboot the second computer, it can now connect to the wireless network but cannot access the internet.

First i thought it may have to do with the updates on the computer so i installed SP2 for Win XP, i also selected the "Automatically detect LAN settings" on the internet options.
    The other computer connects via a usb wifi device which has a range of 1 Mile, The only problem is the internet connection, it connects to the network with an excellent signal.

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You didn't mention your ISP, but I have Comcast and with them "Automatically detect LAN settings" is not to be checked. Uncheck it, reboot and see if that fixes the problem. If not, triple check your network settings; they have to be exactly the same for each machine. Also, read through: Building a Home Network from Scratch.
    ya'aa'tey

XP Pro SP2 - Intel D925XCV MB - P4 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HTT, socket 775 - WD 36GB SATA HD - WD 250GB USB2 External HD - 2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200 - Sony DRU-710A DVD±R/RW - Plextor CD-R Premium - XFX GeForce 7900 GT / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV - Samsung 19" LCD - Antec Performance Plus SOHO server case with 430W PSU

Yes some spyware will cause that. Look for the winsock fix tool. Also Ive had that Issue with Norton Internet Security .. I could connect to the router but not the Internet .. Even with that pos application disabled I still could not get on the Internet. After removing NIS everything worked fine. You posted that you rebooted the wireless pc .. Do you mean reinstall windows? If thats the case and you used a restore disk from the manufacturer you may have NIS installed.
    Reinstalling Windows to resolve an issue is Like cracking a Walnut with a Sledge Hammer. The Walnut will crack. But whats the point if nothing salvageable remains

I do not have NIS installed on any of the computers. The computer that i am connecting to has mcafee internet security installed but onlu the virus scan & firewall none of the other stuff. I tried it at on another 2 peoples computer, one connected and accessed the internet and the other did the same as my computer. Now that has really confused me!!!

Anybody out there willing to help me out?

The others did not work!! Its now just getting annoying.

When you say it connects to the network have you looked at the IP address it us getting assigned by the router?
    Have you tried pinging the listed default gateway (router).
    Have you tried pinging an internet address? (ping yahoo.com)

How would you do that?? The pinging of the gateway. Is it through command prompt?

Thanks

When you rebooted the second machine may have changed ip addresses. Check the ip of both machines and make sure they are different.

To ping go to command and type ping then the ip number of the router/other machine. To ping an external source type ping www.yahoo.com
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

is it possible that my router may have internet sharing disabled? i cant find it. Its a netgear.

i decided to give up unless there are any other methods i can try.

Goodbye cruel World!!!

I have been trying to get the internet to work on the other computer, but still it doesnt work, I tried to change some settings but nothing happened. Still cant connect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!