drivers will not install for 7800 GS

Thread: drivers will not install for 7800 GS

drivers will not install for 7800 GS

Hello, i am new to this site, but have been searching for hours now on how to solve my vid card problem.

I just recently upgraded to a new computer. In my haste i did not research anything and was unaware of the whole PCI-E craze, since my last computer upgrade was 4-5 years ago.

SO i basically ended up with a:

p4 3.0g intel
    1g dual channel ram (cant rember brand name or speed)
    Gygabite MB model GA- 8trs350mt (onboard ati vid card, and ati chipset)
    soundblaster audigy 2 extreme gamers edition
    WD 10,000rpm raptor HD 72gb
    Coolmaster tower
    3 fans in case

I started out with my BFG fx5500 OC vid card on the system, and on a whim went all out on a 7800 GS OC, well when i got the first card in it did some strange stuff. With no drivers installed (following a complete driver removal, both manually and with Driver cleaner Pro) The card works fine. No 3d processing though, now here is where it gets tricky. First attempted to install the drivers on the CD, they initially took. But upon restatr of system, the comp booted back up locked in 4bit color at minium resolution. and no 3d support through Direct X. So i unstalled drivers, downloaded the most current from Nvidia, and same problem happened.

Did some searching around on the net, found a few "after market" driver sites, attempted to run these, and i had the same problems. Some wouldnt even last long enough to get to the restart step befor loosing all processing. Used drives from Guru3d(sp?) the place that has the extreme G drivers, and a few others. So i dialed up BFG tech support, and went through the RMA process. Well i have since got a brand new card, the tech guy thought the card was bad, so they replaced it. But low and behold my new card is doing exactly the same thing.

ANy help would be greatly appericated.

I am going over the idea of just doing a RMA bak to new egg and changing out the 7800GS for a 7800GT and MB combo and going up to PCI-E, but i am not sure if i would be out the cost of a new MB< processor, and ram.. just cant afford to rebuy all this stuff i just bought less than 3 weeks ago.

And on my RMA to BFG, they did not send me a box back with my card just the little plastic case.

oh.. btw, i did try redownloading DirectX9.0c, i do have all my other drivers current, soundcard MB chipset etc... and they all worked fine.

Well technically as the complete system is new,
    Try to test that card on some different machine with PCI-e on it.
    also test different card on yer new motherboard's PCI-e.
    i'm sure, ya 'll come to conclusion.

Its an agp system. not pci-e

If you upgrade to PCI you should be able to use all your current hardware but the AGP vid card which you can trade in for a 7800GT PCI card. Its highly possibly your AGP slot may be having issues or you have horrible luck with video cards. But anyways if you are goin gto upgrade it should only cost you xxx$ for a mobo the rest of the hardware should work with the mobo of your choice but double check what it uses just to be sure. Anyways the 7800GS is pretty much as far as the VGA video card is going to go but you never know.
    Last edited by Potato Salad; March 4th, 2006 at 08:55 PM.
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS
    If you can guess what it makes then your life shall be filled with happiness and your stomach filled with joy

INGREDIENTS:
    * 5 pounds red potatoes* 6 eggs*2 cups mayonnaise
    * 1 onion, diced* 2 green onions, thinly sliced
    * 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced* 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

You did disable the onboard video in bios didn't you?