Issue with Norton Ghost '03

Thread: Issue with Norton Ghost '03

Exclamation Issue with Norton Ghost '03

I have used Norton Ghost many times in a peer to peer situation. Works great just take alittle longer than doing a local ghost. Well I started doing local ghosting last year or so. This is what I'm doing! I take a HD that has a good OS that I can create a good image off of. Stick it in a different box as a slave(note that the two boxes are totally different). I create an image from the slave. Then I put the new HD in the machine and load the image.(Also I am using two different kind of drives, Maxtor & Seagate)Most of the time it works slick no issues other times it doesn't even try to load the OS. I also found that some of these new drives need to be fdisked. But this one drive I have formatted it, fdisked it, Low Level formatted it. I also off the fdisk loaded the bootable system files so it would boot but once I reghost it, it over writes those file with the incorrect files! Any Ideas? Thanks!

I've had BIOS settings like IDE busmaster being on or off cause that sort of problem before.

Slightly off topic, have you thought about doing OEM installs rather than images? or is this more of a restore option for customers? We used to do images and gave up and just do automated installs now...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

I use Ghost 03 as well and my experience has been that it works with a high degree of reliability. Check your prep work and verify the image integrity.
    It's there, you know it is...

[QUOTE=arch0nmyc0n]I've had BIOS settings like IDE busmaster being on or off cause that sort of problem before.

For this mobo, its bios does not have that option. Anyways I'm working on a new box with the same concept of ghosting like before. When I finish ghosting the HD and stick in the pc and fire it up, I get the dreaded NTLDR error when it tries to boot? This image is good, I immediately thought it had that notorius NYB virus that gets in your boot sector and corrupts the boot.ini file. I scanned the drive it had the virus, so I removed the virus. I still get that NTLDR error. I also tried replacing the boot file from the ones from the Win2k CD still no luck! Does anyone know what could have caused this problem besides the virus? By the way I also tried 3 other HD's with the same results. Now I'm doing a fresh install on it now! -Scott

rsnovak,

So from what I understand is that you're creating an image on one PC and putting the image on another PC? Are they the same hardware?
    Shoot 'em up! Shoot 'em up! Pow! Pow!

To make this alittle clearer! I take a HD (master) from a PC4 1000 stick it into a HP Compaq Evo d51c cmt as a slave drive. I make an image of the slave drive and push the image to the master HD to save it. I check the image creation log and make sure the image is good. Then I replace the slave drive with a new formatted HD and load the image to the new drive (slave). Once completed, I take out the new ghosted drive(slave in the dc51c) Place it back into the PC4 1000 as a master drive! So all I'm doing is making a copy of the master drive of the PC4 1000 but I'm using the D51c to make the image. I think some people might think that I'm trying to use an image that is for a different machine. Obviously that won't work because of the mobo types are different. So is this alittle clearer? I'm not trying to be a smart *** either! Thanks!