Gateway 7320 Display Problem

Thread: Gateway 7320 Display Problem

Gateway 7320 Display Problem

I am working on a Gateway 7320 laptop with a display problem. during boot and post, the screen flickers a bit. If you move the lcd panel just enough, it will stop. I am thinking that it could be a pinched cable or inverter board or something like that. I am trying to take the laptop apart, and have gotten stuck after I removed all the screws from the back. I can't get the top cover off and I don't want to force it. Has anyone ever taken one of these bad boys apart?

Also, I can't seem to find any take apart guides or manuals for it...

Help!

<<GATEWAY>>
    Don't ask me... I just work here.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    I've looked a round a bit for you, haven't found any specifiic instructions for that model, so I can only suggest you perhaps get it to a qualified repair shop, rather than risk damaging something by attempting to tear into it yourself.

If you're dead against paying to have it serviced, a little patience and common sense will help you locate where tabs, screws, etc. are located during disassembly; just try to work it apart gently, and pay attention to the areas that seem to offer most reisistance, as that's probably where a screw or tab is located. Again, I'm not advising taking it apart yourself, as there's a very good chance of you breaking/damaging something unintentionally.

Usually that is caused by a loose connection that could be from opening and closing the lid. However, I do agree that if you are unsure on how to take the laptop apart I would take it to a repair shop. Laptops are bit more tricky than desktops. Those thin ribbon cables they use tear quite easily. If it was a Dell I could send you all sorts of tech docs as I have access to that, but for Gateway I no longer have any resources for them since I stopped working for them 4 - 5 years ago.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

ok... i didn't clarify... I am a computer tech. I am certified in Dell and Compaq. I see where the gateway is still connected on the top, but I can't find the screw...

--scooter

Laptops and their hidden screws. And it never fails that you have a screw left over when you put them back together. I will see if I can find any tech docs on that model, but it may be difficult without having access to their document library.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

So you're trying to separate the case or the LCD from the case?

LCD's are usually attached to the laptop by hinges, the screws are usually hid under some sort of bezel.

I need to take the top plastic cover off first... i don't think the problem is the LCD panel itself, but the wires that connect it to the system board... could also be the inverter board...

could be lots of things, but I need to crack it open first...

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter
    I need to take the top plastic cover off first... i don't think the problem is the LCD panel itself, but the wires that connect it to the system board... could also be the inverter board...

could be lots of things, but I need to crack it open first...
    most screws come from the bottom up, look behind stickers, remove all panels and doors, look under the keyboard, etc.

also, check that bezel i mentioned where the lcd joins to the laptop, you can see most of the cables to the lcd under it.

I have taken off every panel, lifted every sticker, located every screw on the bottom and removed it. I have removed all drives, batteries, cards, etc...

There is no way to get to the bezel from the back, no way to remove the plastic from the hinges... no screws in the back either.... KBD will not flip out.... <SIGH>

Update

I figured it out... finally. The top strip of plastics where the power button is pops up... i was so afraid that I was going to snap something... after I got that up, I saw the two screws that held the keyboard in and removed that. I was able to see the video cables without removing anything else.

Unfortunately, this laptop has a bad LCD... best price I can find is $279...

Thanks again for everyone's help... you guys gave me the courage and insight to "venture on"

--Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter
    I figured it out... finally. The top strip of plastics where the power button is pops up... i was so afraid that I was going to snap something... after I got that up, I saw the two screws that held the keyboard in and removed that. I was able to see the video cables without removing anything else.

Unfortunately, this laptop has a bad LCD... best price I can find is $279...

Thanks again for everyone's help... you guys gave me the courage and insight to "venture on"

--Scooter
    glad to here you found it, sucks that it was the LCD. On a plus side, that's not really as expensive as some LCD's. Last year, I cracked an LCD on a dell laptop here at work, the replacement from Dell was $525 - Luckily, they didn't make me pay the bill

Thumbs up Gateway Solo1450

Thanks for the tip.

I have the power issue as well, after poping the panel where the power button sits, I remove screws to remove keyboard, then remove screws on the left handle for the LCD, remove the plastic part and remove a screw under it. In the middle under the keyboard there will be one more screw in the middle.
    After a removed all of these screws(including the bottom and the back) I was able to pop the top pannel and access the power cord connector. It turned out that it was cracked on the side, and the small part of aluminum was sticking out too far. I moved it back and put whole a lot of supper glue. on the whole thing. This seem to fix it at least temporarily. I was surprised that I didn't get any extra left over screws.

Thanks for the tip.
    Andrey

Welcome to Windrivers asignato. Glad this forum helped you.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."