dual monitor setup
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dual monitor setup

dual monitor setup

We have a P4 2ghz 512mb ram 80gb dual boot hard drive with a Radeon all in wonder 32mb agp card. The plan is to add a pci card to allow dual display for projection. The os's involved are windows ME and windows xp pro.

Any suggestions? either for the system or for what pci card to use? owner is currently looking at a gf5500 256 mb or a radeon 9250 256mb card both pci of course.....
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Do you really need a 2nd video card? Here's what we use in our labs, you can get cheaper versions like this as well if you don't need the signal amplification.
    Last edited by 3fingersalute; March 10th, 2006 at 12:18 PM.

I will check the exact results intended but from what I read on your links that splits the signal... ie one desktop on two displays and I think he actually wants two desktops...

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    I will check the exact results intended but from what I read on your links that splits the signal... ie one desktop on two displays and I think he actually wants two desktops...
    oh, my bad, i thought you just wanted to display the same image on a projector. If you want 2 desktops, yeah, you either need a 2nd video card, or one of the newer cards that supports dual displays.

We have one small lab that does that using a laptop, most laptops allow you to use the external monitor connection as a 2nd desktop.

Yeah I'm not 100% certain what it is he wants to do but I believe he wants to have one desktop for him to look at and another he can project power point projects on....

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    Yeah I'm not 100% certain what it is he wants to do but I believe he wants to have one desktop for him to look at and another he can project power point projects on....
    does he have AGP or PCI-e for his primary video ?

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    does he have AGP or PCI-e for his primary video ?
    The reason I'm asking is, if you need to buy a new video card already, why not just grab something like this or something similar.

There are a lot of nice 256MB dual-display cards out there to be picked up for under $75. That one is $54, with a $15 mail-in rebate, taking you down to $39 (plus shipping), and I bet you're paying close to that for the new pci card.

Sorry got busy....

AGP....

that is certainly an option.... I'll see what he wants to do..... I think he may have already changed his idea...

Shard, you can't add a second video card and get dual monitor display! There isn't any OS that supports this. You have to use a card that supports dual monitors (and a projector is just another monitor, after all). Drivers and software for dual display vid cards will let you have different desktops on two monitors, split desktops, etc.

I'm in an area with lots of Senior Citizens, and plenty of churches around here use dual monitor support to project Hyms, videos, etc. to big screens. I think ATI still has the lead over nVidia when it comes to dual monitor support. Easier to configure and set up, though either will get the job done. If you don't need good 3D, you can get a decent card really cheap.

Ummm, sorry, but you're wrong. I ran dual display way back in 98se with 2 different video cards, used one to do my daily routines on, the 2nd simply ran a netmeeting session with a webcam blown up to full size so I could monitor the front of my retail shop.

In case you don't believe me, have a read here for 98, here for 2000, etc.
    Last edited by 3fingersalute; March 11th, 2006 at 08:12 PM.

Ummm, sorry, but you're wrong. I ran dual display way back in 98se with 2 different video cards, used one to do my daily routines on, the 2nd simply ran a netmeeting session with a webcam blown up to full size so I could monitor the front of my retail shop.

In case you don't believe me, have a read here for 98, here for 2000, etc.
    Yep, got a few clients set up with two cards / two monitors. One of them has an AGP and a PCI and it works sweet (on XP).

Can't say for non-NT OS like 9x; never tried it.

emr

Quote Originally Posted by emr
    Yep, got a few clients set up with two cards / two monitors. One of them has an AGP and a PCI and it works sweet (on XP).

Can't say for non-NT OS like 9x; never tried it.

emr
    Like I said (and linked) above, I've used it on 98, 2000 and XP; so I know its possible

Like I said (and linked) above, I've used it on 98, 2000 and XP; so I know its possible
    Oh yeah, didn't see the link.

emr

Have a look
    here you might find it useful.

Ouch! I stand corrected! Very interesting info on dual card support. In the past, I guess I've just done things the easy way.