Weird glitches in new AMD cpu/motherboard

Thread: Weird glitches in new AMD cpu/motherboard

Weird glitches in new AMD cpu/motherboard

I just recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU. I have an AMD 64 3200 cpu and an Asus A8V-MX motherboard. The motherboard was pretty cheap, so I'm thinkin that might be the problem, but I want to ask some more professionals like you guys, because the people at the store where I bought it are about the opposite of professionals haha.

Everything else I had, RAM, sound card, video card, hard drives, are all the same as I had before, the only thing new is the mobo and cpu. So here's my problem(s). First of all, I noticed an odd ticking noise and sometimes bursts of static in my sound through my sound card. I solved that by simply using my onboard sound. But I have also noticed other unnacceptable things. Like, when I play games, games that I've played many a time before on my slower system, they run choppy; when more is happening on the screen, like for instance when there is more moving pixels, everything seems to move more slowly, or a sort of "lag" effect. It makes the game downright unplayable, especially online(and it's not lag due to being online, i get an excellent ping).

Also, during regular windows stuff, like downloading, and using various software apps that I've always used, the computer will be cruising along at a nice fast speed like it should, but then suddenly everything sort of freezes, and I gotta sit there and wait 10-30 seconds because I can't click on anything, I can't switch between applications, I can't click the start menu, and it will just sit there while I consider resetting. Then suddenly it instantly snaps out of it and everything kind of just finishes what it was doing all at once and then its running great again as if nothing happened. This started happening right after a fresh Windows XP install too by the way. I barely had any programs installed so there is little clutter, but this started happening almost immediately with barely anything on the hard drive.

So what's going on here? I've got the latest video card driver, and everything else was working fine before I made the swap. Some ideas I've had are: I'm still using older ram, PC2100, which I was told shouldn't be a problem, but who knows? i'm just speculating. I'm also thinking it's the motherboard, because all my problems seem to be linked, the weird sound problem, the video problem, and the freezing problem, all seem to have started with the new stuff, and I wouldn't think it could be the processor?

So, I would really appreciate any obeservations from you guys, I know this was a long *** post, but I'm getting desperate here, and am sick of calling the techs at the store who would rather I just go die than bother helping me out.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    I did not see where you mentioned what Power supply unit you have.Sometimes the new components over tax the Power Supply.

Sometimes there can be a problem with the very latest video driver, maybe try an older, known stable version?

Also, can you be sure the system is clear of any malware infection? With XP, it's typical to go online after installation to get updated, but it's also typical for one of the more agressive infectors to find you before all the security patches can be installed. For this reason it's pretty much essential to have the updates on disk beforehand so they can all be installed before you go online.

First off did you do a clean install?
    Or did they change the motherboard and make it work with the windows that was on there?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by street1
    I did not see where you mentioned what Power supply unit you have.Sometimes the new components over tax the Power Supply.
    Apparently my power supply was considered "too big", but I think by todays standard its fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    Sometimes there can be a problem with the very latest video driver, maybe try an older, known stable version?

Also, can you be sure the system is clear of any malware infection? With XP, it's typical to go online after installation to get updated, but it's also typical for one of the more agressive infectors to find you before all the security patches can be installed. For this reason it's pretty much essential to have the updates on disk beforehand so they can all be installed before you go online.
    My windows version is the one with service pack 2 included, so it has all the security updates put on during the install. I seem to be doing allright with the video stuff now, I lowered the screen resolution of my desktop and in the game and it seems better, BUT:

Stuff is still running crappy on regular windows tasks. For instance, when I leave a full screen application, all my desktop icons all look the same, and then slowly one by one they change back to the proper icon. I asked a few of my friends if they have this happen and they've told me no they've never seen it.

Edit: Ferret, I did a clean install myself, I took it in because the hardware is under warranty and I couldn't solve the problem myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodean
    My windows version is the one with service pack 2 included, so it has all the security updates put on during the install.
    Not exactly. SP2 is a start, at least the firewall is on by default. But until you fully update you are still vulnerable. An SP2 install will still need most of these updates:

Windows XP security update (February 2006) - KB911927
    Windows XP security update (February 2006) - KB913446
    Media Player 9 Critical Security Update (February 2006)
    Media Player 10 Critical Security Update (February 2006)
    Windows XP security update (January 2006) - KB912919
    Windows XP security update (January 2006) - KB908519
    DirectX 9.0c (December 2005 release)
    Windows XP security update (December 2005) - KB904706
    Windows XP security update (November 2005) - KB896424
    Windows XP security update (October 2005) - KB901017
    Windows XP security update (October 2005) - KB900725
    Windows XP security update (October 2005) - KB899589
    Windows XP security update (October 2005) - KB905414
    Windows XP security update (October 2005) - KB902400
    Windows XP security update (October 2005) - KB905749
    Windows XP security update (August 2005) - KB893756
    Windows XP security update (August 2005) - KB896423
    Windows XP security update (August 2005) - KB899587
    Windows XP security update (August 2005) - KB899588
    Windows XP security update (August 2005) - KB899591
    Windows XP security update (July 2005) - KB901214
    Windows XP security update (June 2005) - KB896358
    Windows XP security update (June 2005) - KB890046
    Windows XP security update (June 2005) - KB893066
    Windows XP security update (June 2005) - KB896422
    Windows XP security update (June 2005) - KB896428
    Windows XP security update (April 2005) - KB890859
    Windows XP security update (April 2005) - KB892944
    Windows XP security update (April 2005) - KB893086
    Windows XP security update (Feb 2005) - KB888113
    Windows XP security update (Feb 2005) - KB885250
    Windows XP security update (Feb 2005) - KB873333
    Windows XP security update (Feb 2005) - KB891781
    Windows XP security update (Feb 2005) - KB890047
    Windows XP security update (Feb 2005) - KB888302
    Windows XP critical update (Jan 2005) - KB890175
    Windows XP critical update (Dec 2004) - KB886185
    Windows XP security update (Dec 2004) - KB885836
    Windows XP security update (Dec 2004) - KB873339
    Windows XP security update (Dec 2004) - KB885835
    Windows XP security update KB885523 (Oct 2004)

As you can see , most address security vulnerabilities. How is your CPU usage?

What type of video card are you using?

Also, as you say you are using the same sound card as before, is the on-board sound disabled in the BIOS setup? And I guess with only 2 PCI slots it's unlikely for one to be sharing interrupts with the AGP slot, but it could still be worth moving the sound card to the other slot in case there's a conflict.

Yeah, I disabled the onboard sound, as well as removed any drivers for the onboard sound. I tried both pci slots. I have a radeon 6800 or something like that. Older model.

Got a match!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Gammon Sr.
    Got a match!!!
    Nope, don't smoke...

hi guys me too facing the same problem... i have asus nvidia 6600gt 128 agp card & a audigy 2 zs sound card..... when i install the sound card the the system freezes on bios message ... i have tried the two PCI Slots... Plz help me.......

Quote Originally Posted by alexdonwarez
    facing the same problem...
    Welcome to WinDrivers, alexdonwarez (?).

Your problem description sounds a little different to the previous ones, do you mean you are using the same motherboard?

Has the Audigy worked in this system before, or is it being newly fitted?

AGP based system?

Im gussing that its the Video card, as my last AGP system went completaly wiggy with a NV 6800 Ultra, it was just too much for it.

MSI K8N Neo P. 2 3200+ 64.... try older NV drivers.

Also there is no Radeon 6800... NV 6800? its power hungry, the video card uses 100 w b it self, PS must be 400 W or better to use that particular card. please post system specs.