Windows 2003 server

Thread: Windows 2003 server

Windows 2003 server

Hello. I have a power edge 2300 and im running microsoft server 2003. I want to know how to add 4 computers in my office to my server so i can deploy files back and forth from my server. I have set up a domain name and I tried to add my laptop to the domain server to but it says cant find domain. I using a wireless pci card on my server. Have missed a step in setting up a server. Someone let me know?

Are you getting the DHCP settings from a router or from the server? I have a feeling that the server isn't listed as a DNS server in your DHCP. AD functionality relies on DNS working properly.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Lol What you just said sounded like spanish to me so go slowly with me. I have a belkin router with 4 computers hooked up to it. where can i go to check to see if im getting settings from the server or router? And what do you mean by : I have a feeling that the server isn't listed as a DNS server in your DHCP. AD functionality relies on DNS working properly.

OOOpps... in that case you *need* to do some reading before you start... otherwise you're heading to failure, if not now then few months down the road, when it's going to be much worse.
    You can only have 1 DHCP server (someone will surely jump and say no, you can have more to achieve redundancy... but this is definitely not the case). Set your server to be DHCP and disable the DHCP function on the router.
    Set your server's IP to be static.
    As parameters in DHCP use: router - your router's IP, DNS - your server's IP
    The IP distribution range should exclude the router and server IP's.
    In the DNS management console verify if you have a zone named ".", if you do delete it...
    You should now have basic settings that allow your clients to browse the net and see the server.
    Be aware that this changes client settings... unless they have a static configuration...
    I'm serious about the reading part....
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Thankyou i will try this tommorow when i go back to work. Do you have a yahoo or msn account so you could walk me through this tommorow? And i would love to read up on this so do you know any sites that teach the basics of setting up a server. thanks in advance

Here's as good a place as any to start:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...dows_2003.html

Good luck!