Intel D915GAGL

Thread: Intel D915GAGL

Intel D915GAGL

Hi guys,

Just put in a new Intel D915GAGL board in a Gateway 500GR Desktop, using factory 2 x 256 DDR's. Pilot light on board lights up when PSU is connected. All it does is when I hit the power switch is the CPU fan jumps for a moment, then stops. I've tried two brand new PSU's with the 24-pin ATX connector, and then per Intel's instructions, tried a new standard 20-pin ATX PSU with the extra molex connected on the motherboard as an alternative. Same, same, same. CMOS clear jumper is set to run position, not clear (some new boards will not startup because jumper is in clear position). The one drawback is I don't have a LGA775 Pentium sitting around to check against. But new board, new PSU's, what's left? Any ideas?
    God is a comedian, playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh - Voltaire

4-Prong

Right, I forgot to mention the 4-prong "P4" connector. Yes, that and the 24-pin ATX, or...at the last the 20-pin ATX, the 4-pin square "P4" connector and the molex to make up for the lack of the 24-pins, i.e. I tried 3 different brand new PSU's, two 24-pin ones and one 20-pin one..

Also, I very carefully mapped all of the mobo connections prior to the replacement, front panel connections, etc.
    Last edited by glenglenn; March 14th, 2006 at 05:04 PM.

Yep, new mobo. I tried clearing CMOS, same. This is exact replacement, so RAM should be compatible (PC3200)

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    It may be that your motherboard is shorting out.

Did you recheck all the screws and standoffs?

Motherboard

I guess tommorow I will take it out of the case and set it up with just the minimal PSU, RAM and drive for load. I DO have a Pentium 520 in a test machine on the bench. I may have to sacrifice the use of the computer and use that CPU to check it out. Anybody think it's any chance that this is the CPU?

It's the CPU

Well, I put the 520 CPU from my test machine in this morning and off it went. One thing I don't like about the Gateway heat sink is the metal flange that sits on the underside of the board. It is protected by a gasket, but it fits over a lot of connections on the underside that have sharp points. I prefer the stock Intel unit that has four turn locks topside with no underside metal underneath involved at all. When I order the replacement CPU, I'm going to get rid of the factory heat sink setup.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Well ,glenglenn I am glad to hear the good news though,I am sorry about the bad CPU.