BIOS Flash >> Shutdown Hangs

Thread: BIOS Flash >> Shutdown Hangs

BIOS Flash >> Shutdown Hangs [RESOLVED]

System: XP Pro, updated. ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe Mobo, AMD 64/3800 processor. Twin WD Raptor HDD in Raid 0, Seagate 120 GB secondary [third] HDD.

Started having issues with some graphics design software, decided [against my better judgement] to update BIOS. Followed the path suggested by ASUS, updated chipset drivers first, then flashed the BIOS to a version 6 generations later than original.

After initial reboot, [almost heart attack...RAID drivers replaced, had an error message that no drives were installed!!!] went into BIOS, enabled all the various equipment required. Now all drives seen in correct configuration. FWIW, I somehow toasted a firewire/usb combo PCI card in the process...replaced it and now all devices function properly, all drives seen, all USB/Firewire and peripherals work normally. No issues noted in device manager.

The BIOS flash did resolve the graphics glitch I was hoping it would.

I have only one remaining problem that I cannot figure out...my system now hangs at shutdown. I see the save settings, it shuts down the secondary monitor, I hear the sound card shut down...and then it sticks forever at "shutting down." FWIW, I also hear the USB disconnect "boop" during this process.

I have tried all the common troubleshooting...power options settings, etc., and thought it might be due to network issue, since I have a spare Marvell LAN card not in use. Disabled it in BIOS...same problem. Networking, router interface, internet all work fine...but it seems the PC is looking for something to shut down before it actually powers off.

I can resort to using the power button, and restart/reboot that way without a problem, but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing. A BIOS setting perhaps?

Your thoughts....and thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Len
    Last edited by IT Len; April 10th, 2006 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Issue Resolved
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."

Sometimes after a BIOS update, with XP there's enough difference in something like ACPI to need a repair install - could be worth a try?

If you do, remember you'll need to re-do the security updates...

Well I am not sure it will help you.
    But on my MSI board anything in raid using the onboard nvidia raid drivers.
    Causes me not to be able to shutdown or reboot.
    Load the system on a single harddrive with XPPRO or XPPRO 64bit and no issues at all with shutdown and reboot.
    Mirror or stripe it on the nvidia and bang it no longer will shutdown or reboot
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Ferrit,
    I've got the exact same symptoms as you.
    Single drive configuration works fine, but enable RAID causes my machine to hang at the end of a reboot. The issue is not a windows issue, or driver issue...it happens under any OS. Still looking for a fix.

Abit AN8 Ultra
    AMD 64 3700
    2x1G Corsair XMS 3200c2
    2x WD Raptors
    GeForce 7900GT
    Coolermaster 420W PS

Issue Resolved

Found the solution. Apparently even new mobos w/BIOS installed do not necessarily have paired/updated chipset drivers. [It appears that ASUS does not assume that the average user has some form of RAID array, and chipset driver upgrades are necessary to use RAID, and be able to shut down properly.]

In other words, a BIOS upgrade or a new mobo with latest BIOS on it, may not have the correct chipset drivers. Version 6.5.x of the nForce chipset drivers solved the shut down hang issue.

A8N-SLI hangs on shut down / reboot when raid is enabled

"Version 6.5.x of the nForce chipset drivers solved the shut down hang issue."

I have downloaded and installed the v6.65 chipset and raid drivers, (even used the raid drivers during the installation of WindowsXP) and I still have this shut down / hang issue when raid is turned on. I am also updated to bios version 1014. Any other thoughts?

WindowsXP Professional 32-Bit
    A8N-SLI
    AMD 64 X2 4200+
    OCZ PC3200 2GB (2x1GB)
    eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked
    One 74 Gig WD Raptor
    Two 250 Gig WD Caviar RE
    Enermax Liberty 620W

Hey Korgano,

Only thing I could add that is a little different from your situation is that the new replacement mobo came with the v.1015 BIOS loaded.

And, during the chipset driver update, there was an option toward the end of the install that said something about "SW" drivers..."most systems won't need this update," or something similar to that. The option was to continue on to finishing the driver update without it. First time I tried this with the previous, same model board, I did not select that option to install, and started getting the hangs, this time I did, and it works without that problem.

Ok then, I guess I'll just do the RMA, and hope that fixes the problem. God knows Asus won't troubleshoot anything with me, much less even talk to me when I call them...

Found a solution!

So I found the solution, if anyone cares. Asus apparently doesn't know how to write drivers for their own motherboard. You have to download the chipset drivers directly from nvidia's web site to get it to work. The drivers from asus don't work.