CPU NEWS: Intel Viiv DRM info

Thread: CPU NEWS: Intel Viiv DRM info

CPU NEWS: Intel Viiv DRM info

CNET went to Intel's Viiv launch and scored some interesting info about Viiv DRM.
    Viiv-based machines are designed to sit in your living room and be operated from your couch, so their core functions include storing, searching and sharing digital media files, as well as recording directly from a TV broadcast. The Media Center Edition interface enables these tasks to be carried out intuitively with a remote, as opposed to a keyboard and mouse. The criteria that vendors must fulfil in order to have their products Viiv-certified revolves around Intel technologies, naturally. Systems must feature an Intel processor (Pentium D or Pentium Extreme Edition for desktops; Core Duo for notebooks), an Intel motherboard chipset, an Intel LAN chip and an Intel High Definition Audio processor.

According to Don MacDonald, Intel's stance surrounding Digital Rights Management (DRM) is that consumers should be able to do whatever they like with legally purchased content. That means backing it up to external drives and streaming it to other devices such as handhelds and networked machines.

Interestingly, MacDonald also told CNET.com.au that Viiv won't be testing to see if the content being played is pirated from networks such as BitTorrent. He believes that it's not Intel's job to be policing downloads and that it's wrong to assume that "all consumers are criminals". As such, Viiv won't test for "watermarks" or other red flags that reveal pirated content, allowing any type of media to be played. Ultimately, though, MacDonald is confident that piracy won't be a significant issue for Viiv, as Intel promises to "make content easier to buy than it is to pirate".

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    ..According to Don MacDonald, Intel's stance surrounding Digital Rights Management (DRM) is that consumers should be able to do whatever they like with legally purchased content... as Intel promises to "make content easier to buy than it is to pirate".
    Who-hoo somebody with big business 'clout' finally taking a sensible approach , but I wonder if 'legal' looked at what he said ?

As I can well image this stance will get Intel in bother with the guys who wrote the DMCA (which makes any copy protection 'tampering' completely illegal including what was called 'fair use' {copying your own stuff for backup}) & the catchily titled "Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act" ... I'd say Intel might well be in breach of both of those, as the law stands currently.

I can't see the RIAA rushing staright into battle on this one though, as unlike the RIAA's usual targets, they'll be able to stand the legal costs ..