Need Help finding a mobo part.

Thread: Need Help finding a mobo part.

Need Help finding a mobo part.

Hello everyone,

My mobo chipset fan just crapped out...and I'm having a surprisingly tough time locating a replacement.

The mobo is an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe...the fan is not the CPU fan, but the much smaller chipset fan.

It's a three pin connector, with heatsink, the fan dimension itself is 30mm, the fan/heatsink connector is a pair of eyeholes at diagonally opposing corners attaching with some spring loaded pins.

I can only find one type of fan in this size, and it doesn't seem to be the right one. Checked newegg, buy.com, pricegrabber, even the ASUS home hasn't turned anything up.

If you have a source or URL for me to try, or know exactly where I could go online to find this part, I would appreciate a link greatly! No generic PC parts stores have it listed under "fans" that I can dig up...

Thanks in advance.

Len.
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL

i know ASUS were sending out free replacement fans for this very prob maybe 6 months ago. Try giving them a call and cross fingers...

if not, i have found the vast majority of 30mm fans fit a vga or chipset heatsink (with maybe longer or fatter screws...) maybe not perfect, but it works.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SubCategory=62

Might try this link for some answer: http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=1684900
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Thanks for the help and sources.

Followed the links you all provided...close but no cigar. The problem is that the fan itself sits inside a heatsink, and since it's right on the mobo, alternate connection possibilities are almost impossible.

The plot thickens...as soon as I saw the chipset fan warning on a reboot, I shut down to protect the system. Based on Parismouton's info, decided to contact ASUS directly [usual and typical nightmare when talking to PC companies!]...and Parismouton was right. They offered to send me a replacement fan [which goes for three bucks, US.] As part of a quality survey, they wanted the BIOS version which originally reported the fan failure. Said I could fire up the machine, just enough to get into BIOS, read the version number, shut down.

Chipset is already fried! Mobo is dead! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!

So, the long and short, new mobo on the way from newegg...and strangely enough, ASUS is also sending the chipset fan. Turns out the site they directed me to was an online ASUS "e store" that they don't have links to on the home page...I'll remember that, and I have it bookmarked!

Oh well....thanks for the assistance and ideas, though. Your collective advice steered me in the right direction.

I hope I won't have to mess around with reloading the whole system...I'm hoping that putting in the same mobo, enabling the RAID drives will be a configuration thing, and I can pick up where I left off...this time with a cooler chipset!

Len

Ouch, that sucks. Just so you know I've had two of those motherboards have those chipset fans fail... I'd keep a close eye on it.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Last edited by street1; March 26th, 2006 at 08:03 PM.

When I got my replacment motherboard ( A8NSLI ) the fan was already making a racket out of the box
    Upon removing the fan a scratched the PCB, Soo I bought the Premuim board, I think Asus quality control has gone downhill since 2003 , With this board I kept getting an unknown device, I have never seen that before, Using the Cd corrected that , then I would have to upgrade the chipset drivers
    The final straw was my last bios update on the premuim, It was supposed to be a final release, It was a beta version
    I am running a DFI board now and happy with it , Asus better get their house in order
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Street 1...yep, that's the item, and the location. Nice work!

Format C...It's interesting you should say that. I started having issues [posted one in mobo/BIOS section] since a BIOS revision about three weeks ago.

With all that customizable fan setting stuff in BIOS...I'm wondering if, besides actual hardware issues with the fan itself, the BIOS update contributed to the problem!

Just had Fedex deliver the new board, and minutes later, a replacement fan [so I have a spare in hand if necessary.]

Besides all the work of gutting the machine in an afternoon, I'm still hoping that reconfiguring to save my RAID will work. We'll see...I've been around PC's long enough now to assume that the worst case scenario is always the best assumption!

Thanks again for the input guys....now....cup of coffee and attack this bad boy!