Samsung DVD Combo and Samsung DVD Writemaster not working

Thread: Samsung DVD Combo and Samsung DVD Writemaster not working

Unhappy Samsung DVD Combo and Samsung DVD Writemaster not working

Well I had Sony DVD Rom when I bought my pc, Then I bought a Samsung DVD Combo. Both of it was working fine. Then now I bought a DVD burner Samsung Writemaster and took out my Sony DVD Rom... BUt the problem now is both my Samsung drives are not being detected in windows but there is power supply there... I can open and close it but it just does not read or write a damn thing... I have not tried the dvd burner at all. It is brand new! I tried confirming any faulties in the cable they all seemed fine and in working conditions!

As with many of these kind of posts there is too little information.

Did you uninstall any supplied software for the one you removed?

Did you install some new software?

What operating system do you have?

What jumper settings are you using or have you tried?

Have you tried running with ALL non-W$ software removed on just the W$ drivers?

Well there was no software with the earlier dvd rom.
    I did not install any software which can block my cd drives.(only installed a few games and Daemon Tools)
    I run Windows XP, 2.7 GHz, 2GB Ram, 370GB hdd(250 GB Sata drive, one 80GB and another 40GB hdd).
    Well I am not sure of the jumper settings because my computer repair man did it for me.
    Yes I have!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubandren
    Well there was no software with the earlier dvd rom.
    But I expect there is CD burning software belonging to the combo? There may be a conflict between this and the new drive, or the new drive's burning software if it has been installed.

Of course, if the drives have both been set as Master or something silly like that, then it is a hardware conflict. Did the repair man not confirm the drives worked after he hooked them up?

If the repair guy isn't going to sort it out for you (or if you don't want to have to pay him more... ), then I'd suggest the best course of action would be to try with only the new drive fitted as Master. If Windows finds the drive and can read disks, un-install the old burning software (and also the new burner's software if that has been loaded), (re)install the software for the new drive and try burning. If that is successful, you can try refitting the old drive also if you wish, current burning software will usually accommodate an older model drive, not the other way around.

And welcome to WinDrivers!
    Last edited by Platypus; March 25th, 2006 at 10:08 AM.

I was given Nero and the nero given I have already uninstall long time ago... I installed a newer version. the problem is the cd drives are not detected in windows or bios. BUt I can open and close it... of course it can't read. I think I better bring to the shop 2 check for faulty. Could be my motherboard problem or my cd-drives problem but I feel it is impossible that both drives aren't working and that one of the drive is still brand new...

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Are your system specs correct for the new drive DVD burner Samsung Writemaster ?

If neither drive can be detected by the BIOS then yes, there is a problem in the hardware side of things & the guy who fitted it up should help you out.

ok guys this may sound silly but the jumpers for my DVD rom has been set as master and the DVD writer has been set as slave... Is it ok to do so? Anyway tomorrow my friend would be here to help me repair this thing.

Well the problem was resolved today... I just found out that when I put my 250GB Sata Drive, it messed around with my BIOS making it not able to read it. But now, my friend he played around with the BIOS and made it working. IT was all because of the PATA and SATA setting! Anyway thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubandren
    the jumpers for my DVD rom has been set as master and the DVD writer has been set as slave... Is it ok to do so?
    Sometimes the writer will prefer to be the Master drive, but if it works OK then no problem.

Yup it does. My friend and I, we were almost scared when we found burn marks and scratches on my Ram. 2 Rams actually. But luckily, it still worked and it was saved! ABOUT THE JUMPERS, well yeah it does allow.