Pentium 4 System Startup problem

Thread: Pentium 4 System Startup problem

Pentium 4 System Startup problem

Hi,

Recently I removed the heatsink/fan assembly from my PC in order to clean it, however in doing so I managed to damage the CPU processor (broken PIN). I purchased a matching CPU Intel Sspec Nr. SL6WK as the broken CPU. This CPU is working as I have tested it on another computer. However when installed on my computer the system fails to post. The only difference between the new CPU and the broken one is that the new CPU has more capacitors on the underside of the chip 30 against 12 on the broken cpu. I have installed an older chip SL726 (also with 12 capacitors) which allows the system to start however as this chip is not Hyperthreading Enabled the system only runs at half the native speed of this CPU.

I have searched the internet and can find no reason why a system can run 12 capacitor chips and not 30 ones when everything else about the chips is the same.

Is there any way to get the 30 cap cpu to work on the system or can I change the system somehow to run the non HT CPU at full speed.

Thanks in advance

Model : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
    Speed : 1.60GHz
    Performance Rating : PR1756 (estimated)
    Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
    Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
    Type : Mobile
    Internal Data Cache : 8kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 4-way set, 64 byte line size
    L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous, ATC, 8-way set, 64 byte line size, 2 lines per sector

Mainboard
    Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
    MP Support : 1 Processor(s)
    MP APIC : Yes
    System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
    System : MEDIONPC MS-7048
    Mainboard : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7048
    Total Memory : 1.5GB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
    Model : Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P, 82848P DRAM Controller / Host-Hub Interface
    Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 133MHz (532MHz data rate)
    Total Memory : 1.5GB DDR-SDRAM
    Memory Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)

Operating System(s)
    Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Home (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

Both problems are likely due to the types of CPU your motherboard can support.

For the SL726 chip that will run, being a Mobile chip, it is running at the 1.6GHz battery mode speed, it's not related to Hyperthreading capability. Considering that the motherboard was probably not designed with mobile usage in mind, even a BIOS update may not enable the board to utilise that CPU correctly.

I suspect much the same situation applies to the SL6WK - the new one you have purchased is based on the Gallatin core, which is used for the Extreme Edition CPUs. Recent Northwood class processors have been using Gallatin cores with only 512K cache (but still have 30 capacitors). So your motherboard would need to have Gallatin support, but unfortunately that board is an OEM board produced for Medion, MSI doesn't support it. Medion calls it MD8088 & a BIOS update is available for it, but I don't know how recent or what issues it updates. I'll see what I can find out, or a knowledgeable european member may know.

http://www1.medion.de/downloads/down...=biomd8088.exe

or you can try a search for yourself commencing at:

http://www.medion.co.uk/
    Last edited by Platypus; March 26th, 2006 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks Platypus and Daffy for your replies.

Platypus are you saying that the 30 cap SL6WK is a different architecture from the broken 12 cap SL6WK so my motherboard cannot recognise it, so if I purchase a 12 cap SL6WK it will work?

I have installed the latest availible Bios Update to no effect and contacted medion support for advice, but as it is an OEM board I am not expecting much.

Daffy: Would you advise clearing the CMOS by using the jumper or by removing the battery?

What I don't get is that the board instructions say that it can support up to 3.2 Ghz Northwood cores but no mention is made anywhere (even on the net that I could find) of there being a problem with compatibility between 30cap and 12cap Northwoods.

Again thanks for the replies and any further thoughts would be appreciated especially about purchasing a 12 cap SL6WK (I don't want to throw more money at the problem without be fairly sure that it will work).

Quote Originally Posted by pringles
    Platypus are you saying that the 30 cap SL6WK is a different architecture from the broken 12 cap SL6WK so my motherboard cannot recognise it, so if I purchase a 12 cap SL6WK it will work?
    That's what I would think. My understanding from what I've read is that 30 caps identifies the Gallatin core as used in the Extreme Edition, and presumably those that have faulty Level 3 cache but otherwise meet spec have the 2MB cache disabled and are appearing as Northwood class CPUs. Since the board runs with the Mobile P4 CPU, it seems probable there has been no damage to the socket or board, so we could expect a CPU identical to the original 12 cap Northwood to work. I guess there are no watertight guarantees though...
    Quote Originally Posted by pringles
    What I don't get is that the board instructions say that it can support up to 3.2 Ghz Northwood cores but no mention is made anywhere (even on the net that I could find) of there being a problem with compatibility between 30cap and 12cap Northwoods.
    Mostly the information in instructions is out of date.

If the instructions indicate the board has a jumper to clear the CMOS, I'd suggest following the procedure given there, otherwise go with removing the battery.