erratic motherbaord behaviour

Thread: erratic motherbaord behaviour

erratic motherbaord behaviour

Hello peeps, about 4 months ago I purchased some new kit, a Pentium 4 2.66 with EMT64 a Foxconn 915PL7AE motherboard and a ATI Radeon x800 GTO 3 video card. From the moment I got it all together I had trouble. The first problem was the machine woulnd boot, it didnt like the ram I was using from my old setup - wich was strange because the old setup wasnt that old it was a socket 478 pentium 4 at 2 gig and the ram was samusung ddr at 333mhz anyway after messing around for 3 hours I tried a stick of kinston ram and it worked a treat.... so then the next problem, this mother board only had one ide channel and guess what? I had 4 Ide devices so out to the shed to raid my spare parts collection for a ide 133 card found one put it in and the system has never worked right since. Its sooooo Quirky I put it down to the raid card so recently replaced all of my ide hard drives with sata equivelents I hope this would fix things but its got worse. It now frequently loses the drives and reports none on boot up and windows just refuses to install properly. Sometimes it will get all the way then freeze. other times it will freeze on the copying files over part. Should I just scrap this mobo and have done? please help?

Quote Originally Posted by Lips2001Ad
    Hello peeps, about 4 months ago I purchased some new kit, a Pentium 4 2.66 with EMT64 a Foxconn 915PL7AE motherboard and a ATI Radeon x800 GTO 3 video card. From the moment I got it all together I had trouble. The first problem was the machine woulnd boot, it didnt like the ram I was using from my old setup - wich was strange because the old setup wasnt that old it was a socket 478 pentium 4 at 2 gig and the ram was samusung ddr at 333mhz anyway after messing around for 3 hours I tried a stick of kinston ram and it worked a treat.... so then the next problem, this mother board only had one ide channel and guess what? I had 4 Ide devices so out to the shed to raid my spare parts collection for a ide 133 card found one put it in and the system has never worked right since. Its sooooo Quirky I put it down to the raid card so recently replaced all of my ide hard drives with sata equivelents I hope this would fix things but its got worse. It now frequently loses the drives and reports none on boot up and windows just refuses to install properly. Sometimes it will get all the way then freeze. other times it will freeze on the copying files over part. Should I just scrap this mobo and have done? please help?
    It may be a new motherboard time. Your IDE 133 card may have a fault
    that now has infected your machine and as time goes by it is not getting better.