Need help disassembling a Gateway Solo 9500 laptop

Thread: Need help disassembling a Gateway Solo 9500 laptop

[Resolved] Need help disassembling a Gateway Solo 9500 laptop

I’m working on a Gateway Solo 9500 that seems to have heat issues. I notice that it “freezes up” frequently, after being in use for a while. When it freezes, the bottom of the laptop is very hot & the fan on the bottom (CPU fan?) is not spinning. On one occasion I “flicked” the bottom of the case in the area of the fan & it started up.

I obtained a CPU & case fan, now I need to install them.

Have any of you worked on this model Gateway Solo laptop (9500)? How difficult is it to disassemble? Any "gotchas"?

Any links to a service manual for this laptop? I was unable to find a service manual or even directions to get into the case on the Gateway site. The closest I came was instructions for replacing the keyboard.

~Dave
    Last edited by TangleWeb; April 9th, 2006 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Issue Resolved

Well, I tackled it & it wasn't TOO bad, I went in from the top, removing the keyboard. Replacing the CPU fan assembly wasn't bad at all, just a LOT of little screws. The small case fan in the rear of the case required the removal of the display, which made me a little nervous, bit after I reassembled everything, it booted right up.

~Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TangleWeb
    Well, I tackled it & it wasn't TOO bad, I went in from the top, removing the keyboard. Replacing the CPU fan assembly wasn't bad at all, just a LOT of little screws. The small case fan in the rear of the case required the removal of the display, which made me a little nervous, bit after I reassembled everything, it booted right up.

~Dave
    EXCELLENT JOB WEB SLINGER!!
    I would not have attempted it my self Fearing that I would break some
    itty bitty part that would render it useless.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL

Thumbs up

I didn't notice the Bluffton thing.I am in Rincon outside Savannah.I
    Don't do laptops but,I could have watched.Congratulations!!!

The only support I found on line was also just for keyboard replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357
    EXCELLENT JOB WEB SLINGER!!
    I would not have attempted it my self Fearing that I would break some
    itty bitty part that would render it useless.
    I had the same fear. That’s why I posted looking for help. I wasn’t even sure how to get into the thing. A service manual with disassembly instructions & diagrams would have helped a lot. The keyboard replacement guide did help get me started though.

Quote Originally Posted by street1
    I didn't notice the Bluffton thing.I am in Rincon outside Savannah.I
    Don't do laptops but,I could have watched.Congratulations!!!

The only support I found on line was also just for keyboard replacement.

Rincon, GA… Yep, we’re practically neighbors Savannah is actually a shorter drive than Hilton head because of traffic. One of my co-workers commutes from Rincon to HH every day.

~Dave

Most laptops like that only have those manuals available to authorized repair personal..... don't know if gateway does that or not but I know toshiba does...

Congratulations on the repair.... I work on Toshi's all the time and have dabled a little with other brands it's just a matter of going slow and carefull... it also helps to make notes as to what you unplugged and what you unscrewed so you can put it back together...
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    Most laptops like that only have those manuals available to authorized repair personal..... don't know if gateway does that or not but I know toshiba does...

Congratulations on the repair.... I work on Toshi's all the time and have dabled a little with other brands it's just a matter of going slow and carefull... it also helps to make notes as to what you unplugged and what you unscrewed so you can put it back together...
    I sort of figured it might be like that about the manual. The instructions describing how to remove the keyboard helped.

I have found it useful to use a digital camera to document the disassembly, but did not use it in this case. Another trick I have used is to take a piece of printer paper & tape the screws to roughly the same place from which they were removed, using the paper as a template. This is especially useful if there are screws of various lengths used in different places. In the case of this Gateway, there were basically 2 types of screws & it was obvious which went where.

~Dave

Glad you were able to get it taken care of. If you need laptop manuals, check here.

http://computerdoc.homestead.com/DRSILaptopManuals.html

I found the manual for my Presario R4000. It cost me $9.95 and was downloadable within 5 min in .pdf format.

Icouldgo41, that link you referenced sounded great. But it didn't have his Solo 9500 listed; only the Solo 1450.

So, it doesn't really belong in this thread. But what the hey?
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ
    Icouldgo41, that link you referenced sounded great. But it didn't have his Solo 9500 listed; only the Solo 1450.

So, it doesn't really belong in this thread. But what the hey?

that's true but anyone else looking to do something like this might find it helpfull.

Tangleweb : The toshiba's I work on not only have a diassembly guide ( not always correct by the way ) but most if not all the screws are labeled with a code by the hole they came out of... The label is by type and length so with them I just put all the ones of the same number in bin or spot with the labeled number.... i use to use the technique you mentioned ( taping in general location ) then realized for the most part they are all labeled somewhere....
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!