Extremely odd booting behaviour

Thread: Extremely odd booting behaviour

Extremely odd booting behaviour

WinXP Pro... I've just cleaned up a slew of spyware and such... I noticed when I was shutting down I'm getting a buncha "This application cannot start because windows is shutting down". Very odd I thought, so I put it to normal and reboot the machine. I use Autoruns ( a startup thing like msconfig) to unselect a bunch of useless startup crap. And reboot again, the problem still occurs and msconfig is set back to selective startup. I look in the task manager and see a process running I told not to load so I terminate it and another process pops up and no it's not a virus process as it's regular HP stuff. So I terminate that and another different one starts... terminate that one and I get yahoo messenger loading... terminate that and MSN loads.... WTF? I've never seen this type of thing before, any ideas?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

reloading may take less than fixing
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

whilst I understand that, the customer does not want to do that.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Unfortunately, I see it quite a bit. You have a system that still isn't clean. I'd try Sysinternals Rootkit Revealer next, and see what comes up. Don't forget too that a legit file name isn't always the same thing as a legit file. Lots of malware these days installs bogus files with real or nearly real file names.

If the computer had any Smitfraud variants (Spyware Quake [a shiny new one], SpyFalcon, SpySherrif, Security Toolbar, SpyAxe, and many more) you should try this link: http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...SpyAxe_Removal

Malware tools you may want to try if you haven't are Ewido, the free version of Spycatcher, and SpySweeper. Usually if I've run a scan or two and the system is still flaky, I connect the drive into my Data Recovery/Malware Removal machine and run my tools from it. Removing some of the stealthier nasties can be much easier this way.

I've never seen that behaviour before. You say it's probably a rootkit? The customer picked up the machine even though I told them it wasn't working quite right... I have a strong suspicion I'll have it back on Monday...

Likely you will.
    I have seen this a number of times.
    Ewido online scan is a good one
    F-Secure Blacklight for rootkits is good too
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net