[RESOLVED] Sony DRU-820A Installation Headaches...code 39

Thread: [RESOLVED] Sony DRU-820A Installation Headaches...code 39

Resolved [RESOLVED] Sony DRU-820A Installation Headaches...code 39

As I had a bit of free time on my hands yesterday, I decided to go ahead and install my Ram upgrade and the "New" Sony DVD drive I had purchased. I planned it all out carefully, thinking about the ease of installation. Ok... now it's really burning me up and am desperate for some freakin' guidance here. I was so mad last night that the compy almost went out the window hard and fast! With some restraint, I told myself that there has to be a "logical" explanation. I am running Windows XP home SP 2.

So going down the list of things I have done:

1) checked the wiring and made sure that the Sony was connected up the same way as the old CD-RW Drive was. same jumper posistion.

2) made sure that all the other Master / Slave cables were tight. I double checked the bios and made real sure that the "auto detect" was enabled for optical drives. However I am not a 100% sure that everything is how it should be......

3) The drive blinks when the computer is on or reboots. Then I get a "New Hardware detected" notice in my taskbar. I go onto the device manager, looking under my DVD/CD rom drive and see the "Sony DRU-820A" in there but has a big yellow exclamation point over it.

4) I then proceeded to follow the next step on the list starting from the troubleshooting routine. When I go to the properties, I notice that the location say's 0(0) ? and even when I go to my computer, that there is not a usual CD drive symbol where there once was before I removed the old drive.

5) I do as interpret by the troubleshooter and it tells me to right click and uninstall the "DRU-180A" reboot and re-install. Ok did it. I go back and try to re-install by the "Add Hardware Wizard" and put the Software CD that came with the new drive in. It doesn't do crap. And sends a nice display of: Code 39: cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The device may be corrupted or missing.... I have scratched my head on this and have wasted the day looking for help. I came across this site and thought there may be just some one out there that has been thru this agony and can give me some guidance?

6) I looked at the display of the drivers for this device and it lists in the following order:The capitalizations are what it actually shows by the way.

(signed) C\windows\system 32\drivers\AFS2K.sys

(signed) C\windows\system 32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

(Signed) C\windows\system 32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys

(unsigned) C\windows\system 32\drivers\pfc.sys

(signed) C\windows/system 32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys

(signed) C\windows\system 32\stop prop.dll

I am at wits end here and have freaked out my wife, scared the neighbors, small animals and children. Not all in that order. I do not know where to start on this headache. It was supposed to be a 1/2 hour upgrade and now this? If there is anyone that could please help me out. I would be grateful.

I discovered the problem just a little while ago..... I deleted "Record Now" before I installed the drive. Sheeeesh.....It turns out that is all it needed. I had the cables hooked up proper and all. lessons learned: do not delete any application until you are sure it is not essential or conflicts after the fact. off to new driver land. I did update my ASPI info. It needed it!