[RESOLVED] OE attachments problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] OE attachments problems

Resolved [RESOLVED] OE attachments problems

Searched around for answers to this, found this unanswered - its exactly my problem, so ive copy and pasted it here:-

All of a sudden i can't open or save attachments that are sent to me. I am using OE6 on a win xp pro computer. Never had this problem before. When i double click the attachment to open (e.g. a pdf) nothing happens. If i right click on it and click "save as" i get an error message " The command failed to execute" If i right click it and select "save all" i get an error message " There was an error saving one or more of the attachments. Please check your free disk space and try again" Needless to say free space is not an issue
    There is nothing wrong with the attachments. It does this with attachments i was able to open and read up till yesterday. I tried a new profile. Same thing.
    I googled this problem and found posts from people with same problem but no answer.
    Anyone have any ideas?

I have unticked the boxes in Security, I have tried turning off AV and firewall etc.

Help!
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine

I'm going to say that something in OE is corrupted and a reinstall might be in order and as always backuping up is always a smart idea before you start.

You'll want to force Windows to do a reinstall of OE, but you'll have to change a setting in the registry first.

If you're not comfortable making registry changes it might be better to find someone who is.

Run Regedit (via <Start> <Run> and typing <Regedit>)

Go to the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.

Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled

Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]

Exit Registry

Now download and install IE6. OE is part of the IE package.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...p1/default.asp

You'll probably end up downloading a small file call <ie6setup.exe>, this is the installer.

Run it and it should allow you to pick your OS version and than start your DL.

However, if it indicate that you already have a newer version of IE running, add the /q switch and that should circumvent any checks for the current version of OE. Meaning you're using, <ie6setup.exe /q>

Let me know if it works.

Remember, this reverts OE to an older version and does not have any critical updates, which you'll have to reinstall to protect yourself from vunerbilities.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Hadnt realised id double posted.

Anyway. Its resolved....see here:-

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=75921
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine