So the plural of ethos is....? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: So the plural of ethos is....?

Trust me, (please don't make me drag out all those old textbooks!) the standard plural ending for a Greek noun ending in os is oi. Dynatos (a mighty one, a lord, etc) and Dynatoi. Doruphoros (a spear carrier) and Doruphoroi. Akritos (a Byzantine border noble) and Akritoi. Kataphractos (an armored horseman) and Kataphractoi. Psilos (a skirmisher) and Psiloi.

The reason the plural of "ethos" doesn't show many entries in standard encyclopedias and dictionaries, is that it isn't used in common English. We speak of Billie the Bard's Ethos, or whatever. But, just like the idea of "One man, one vote!" we have the parallel concept of "One man, one Ethos!" And, therefore, "Many men, many votes", and "Many men, many Ethoi".

Oaklahoma kids live at 700m below sea level?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It looks like you're in need of....ClassicsWoman! Ethos is an irregular (contracted) third declension ancient greek noun, neuter gender. Its nominative and accusative (used as a subject or normal object in the sentence) is ethe, with a long final e. It sounds eeth-air. Don't trust slgrieb, it's not a standard greek noun!

Quote Originally Posted by Pergolesi
    It looks like you're in need of....ClassicsWoman! Ethos is an irregular (contracted) third declension ancient greek noun, neuter gender. Its nominative and accusative (used as a subject or normal object in the sentence) is ethe, with a long final e. It sounds eeth-air. Don't trust slgrieb, it's not a standard greek noun!

Dear Lord... and I get told off for geek speak!!

Umm does that mean it doesn't have a plural?

Oh BTW, welcome to Windrivers Pergolesi
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Not so

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp View Post
    Since ethos is used to describe the distinguishing character, sentiment, moral nature, or guiding beliefs of a person, group, or institution there can't be a plural..it encompasses the entire belief system, etc. not a single belief. A group can't have more than one distinguishing character, since distinguishing character encompasses all the individual bits that go to make up the distinguishing character. The only authoritative reference that i can give is that no dictionary I can find gives a plural or a plural use for the word.
    Just had need to use a plural with "ethos." Turns out it's "ethoi." If you want to discuss two or more different groups and compare or contrast the ethosoi of both (or all), that's the word you'd use. http://forums.windrivers.com/images/...s/rolleyes.gif