Tried EVERYTHING - Won't read blanks.. Any Help Appreciated!

Thread: Tried EVERYTHING - Won't read blanks.. Any Help Appreciated!

Tried EVERYTHING - Won't read blanks.. Any Help Appreciated!

Hello everyone, I am hoping that someone.. anyone can help me with getting my computer to read blank cds and dvds again. Here is the short version of the story of what I have done to date, so you know what I have tried.

Just before Christmas, my burner stopped reading blank cds and dvds. I was in no great hurry to get it fixed at the time but by Feb, it became seriously annoying and I needed to get stuff burned. So, after re-installing whatever might have been on the BenQ disc that I would have needed, it still didn't work. Here is a little about my burner..

It is a BenQ
    listed as: atapi dvd dual 16x4x12
    My main program I use to burn is: Sonic

I took it in to the shop to get it cleaned/fixed/whatever it would take to work and this is what they did.. They changed the burner, different brand but same functionality.. thinking it was just the burner had gone bad. Brought it home.. and guess what, same problem!

Took it back in the next day and told them lets do this right and go over everything. We put my original burner which I kept into another machine and behold, IT WORKED!. So it was not the burner. Tried my original burner back in my computer and nothing. "Please insert blank" still the word of the day..

He told me to leave it there, which I did for a week, cause they had a few jobs to do and I wanted it done right, so no rush. A week later when I went to pick it up, this is what had been done..

-Replaced the motherboard as he stated there were problems with it..
    -Computer completely backed up and wiped, and reinstalled windows.
    (Oh.. I run Win Xp with Sp2)
    -Only brought back over clean (virus free) files back onto my computer from back up drive they used.. and the amount I transfered back over were not many at all. I basically started over with what I had on cd's from long before the burner stopped working.
    -They installed Roxio as the default burner.

Ok.. so I go in to pick it up with my burner back in my computer, a fresh day one computer to work with, a new motherboard driving the system.. and them saying it's ready to go. I told them lets try burning a cd before I take it home to find out it was no good.. and sure enough, it was having problems recognizing the blank cd, BUT it took 1 restart, 1 roxio update, 2 more restarts and BAMM.. Roxio was able to finally recognize the blank cd and burn me a folder of music that was brought back from the back up drive they used.

I am thinking FINALLY IT WORKS, so I get it home, and tried to burn another cd.. it was having problems reading the blank, in and out.. then it just stopped recognizing it again after getting an error while trying to burn a cd at home. I put in a blank dvd to see if it read that blank.. nothing. So here I sit again, computer completely redone and STILL can't get the burner to recognize the blanks. Everytime I try to update the driver (and I have read what confus-ed has been saying over and over about there really being no drivers) but I tried for the hell of it just incase and it just says there is nothing out there that is better than what I have in the cpu now. I can take the computer back into this guy cause after spending $350 there, still being at square one leaves me feeling uhh "pissed", especially when he is as stumped as me. So sorry for the "short" story lol, but this is my problem to date.

ANY further help / ideas/ remedies would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by db_DEE_db; April 14th, 2006 at 03:05 PM.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Everything you have mentioned keeps covering Roxios tracks.

It seems Roxio is the problem.

Who addressed that issue?
    Last edited by street1; April 14th, 2006 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by street1
    Everything you have mentioned keeps covering Roxios tracks.

It seems Roxio is the problem.

Who addressed that issue?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree Roxio may be your problem. Nero and my favorite clone cd (Elaborate Bytes) works well.
    Last edited by xpuser357; April 14th, 2006 at 10:40 PM.

Lightbulb

You might try using a dufferent make of blank media, there's an awful lot of not very good blanks on the market, I have a DVD burner in one machine that wont do anything with some big names blanks, also I don't think Roxio should make it a problem, sure I use Nero but others whose PC's I maintain etc; use it without problem for all types of burning (they did write the original winaspi layer for burning when they were Adaptec so I think they make a reasonable product).

Thanks for the replies so far y'all. As for Roxio, it's not on my computer anymore, so the Roxio can't be the problem. I was using Nero alongside Sonic before when it was working well, before the problems began.. so I doubt Nero or Sonic is the problem either. A few have suggested it is a problem with windows and others blame the sp2, but I have no idea as all these things were in the cpu when it was working well for the first year. My computer was about 1 year and 3 weeks old when it stopped reading blank media.

I have thought about trying other types of blank cds and dvds to see if it will read, and that is probably my next step, just to see because I am currently using (with no luck) FujiFilm CD-R's and Maxell DVD-R's and those aren't working. The guy at the shop made that one copy that worked after a few trys using a Kodak CD.. and he gave me another to take home and try and at first it read, before it started dropping recognition in and out. I will to get some small packs of other types and let you know the progress. If anyone has anymore ideas or suggestions while I continue testing these ideas.. please feel free to add. Thanks again.

Sorry it has taken my so long to reply.. but I have tried 4 other brands of blank media and the burner keeps saying "insert blank", meaning it is still not recognizing or reading the blanks, but like I stated before, it reads everything else just fine.. just not blank cds or dvds. Only thing left I can think of is maybe there is some problem with my "IDE"? cable.. I think thats what it is called. Can anyone think of anything else that might be causing this?

How did you remove roxio? did you remove ALL registry entries manually of Roxio? Even after uninstalling roxio hangs around to haunt you...
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

I have had problems using multiple "disk authoring programs". I am really not happy with Sonic, which came bundled with my burner. But all my problems went away when I reloaded the machine, and installed NERO. Since that is the only program I use to burn CDs and DVDs, I am not having any problems.

But as soon as I uninstalled one of my CD burning programs last instance of WinXP, I got the same problem. Once the ASPI layer gets hosed, heartache begins.
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

Was the IDE cable replaced that went from the motherboard to the drive?
    Did you try locating it on both the primary and secondary ide ports? Did you try it as both master and slave?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."