Tosiba 5005-s504 white screen intermitent

Thread: Tosiba 5005-s504 white screen intermitent

Cool Tosiba 5005-s504 white screen intermitent

I bought a Toshiba 5005-s504 for $100 from a person worked really well and nice for a couple of monthes. I installed XP Home and had SP2 installed, it runs McCaffee security center by MSN. It just began flickering to a all White Screen off and on, always returns to normal after a little bit. Sometimes it does this frequently, and sometimes not so frequent. I am a hardware tech for Dell, IBM, and Sony. I have torn this thing apart several times, and can see nothing wrong. The connects are tight and secure. I have gone to Toshiba.com and downloaded the display drivers several times. The problam seems to go away for a few hours and returns. I could use some advice/help with what to do next. I think it could be Software related, but could be hardware (though it doesn't act like it). No viruses have been found, However it did have a w32... virus, that was cleaned off just before it happened. Not sure if virus could be causing issue. thanks to who ever respons.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cewrightnour
    I bought a Toshiba 5005-s504 for $100 from a person worked really well and nice for a couple of monthes. I installed XP Home and had SP2 installed, it runs McCaffee security center by MSN. It just began flickering to a all White Screen off and on, always returns to normal after a little bit. Sometimes it does this frequently, and sometimes not so frequent. I am a hardware tech for Dell, IBM, and Sony. I have torn this thing apart several times, and can see nothing wrong. The connects are tight and secure. I have gone to Toshiba.com and downloaded the display drivers several times. The problam seems to go away for a few hours and returns. I could use some advice/help with what to do next. I think it could be Software related, but could be hardware (though it doesn't act like it). No viruses have been found, However it did have a w32... virus, that was cleaned off just before it happened. Not sure if virus could be causing issue. thanks to who ever respons.
    First of all, try booting to a CD/Floppy Diskette, etc. and let it sit idle for a while, to determine if this is a hardware issue.

Does it do it with an external screen?

no, it does not seem to do it off a cd, and I don't know if the extrenal does it, I haven't hookit it up to a external. Thinking the LCD is dying?

Quote Originally Posted by cewrightnour
    Thinking the LCD is dying?
    It would be one thing to eliminate. If it still does it with an external screen, the LCD is OK. & vice-versa.

Question

Sorry for the disappearance, I have re-imaged the hard drive, re-installed the drivers, and tryed an exturnal monitor, it does not white screen on the exturnal monitor, but it will flicker on and off at the same time that it white screens, and it will take about 30 min. before it starts now, but it always returns to the normal screen, no matter what setting the colar or resolution settings are. I have tried talking to Toshiba, and I get told I have to pay 250 dollars for two years of tech support. I have also had some problems locating a new or working LCD, under 600 dollars??? I don't wan't to spend money on a screen if it does not fix the issue. Any thoughts

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL

Wink

This site below gives you a good idea for the backlight or inverter.
    Much more likely than the $600.00 screen.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_5.htm

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by street1
    This site below gives you a good idea for the backlight or inverter.
    Much more likely than the $600.00 screen.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_5.htm
    Nice site - thanks for the link!

If the screen is turning white, then it is the LCD that is failing. If the FL inverter was failing, the screen would be dark as the backlight would be off.

Another possibility is the display adapter is failing, but as you have tested it with an external monitor and that works fine, the display adapter is not likley to be the problem.