Processor speed

Thread: Processor speed

Processor speed

Hi

On my system thing in control panel it says my processor speed is only 1.15ghz but I am pretty sure it isn't, I heard sometimes AMD can mess up the processor speed or something and wondered how I checked what my real processor speed was, anything I can download? I was gonna buy new comp before someone told me about how it can sometimes read the speed incorrectly so want to see what the correct speed is first

Thanks

I'd check in BIOS to see what the FSB speed is. You may have it set at 100 MHz when 133 or 166 should be the proper setting for your particular CPU. What speed is it supposed to be?
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

How do I do that? (Check in BIOS?)

And I think my processor is a xp1800.

Thanks

If your chip is an XP 1800, it should be running at a true clock speed of 1533 MHz.
    A couple of links about clock speeds and front side bus stuff here and here.

The BIOS on your computer is reached by pressing a key at switch-on, often Del, F1 or F2. Unless the POST (Power On Self Test) is hidden by a manufacturer's logo, you should be able to see a bit of text on screen telling you which key gets into BIOS / Setup. If you get a huge logo screen, pressing the Tab key usually allows you to see the POST info.

Once into BIOS, the bit you need may be in a variety of places. On the ECS board with an AMI BIOS on my workbench right now, it's under CPU PnP Setup and called CPU Speed.

If you're not sure where to look, note down the list of options on the main BIOS screen and post them here. Alternatively, if you know the make and model of your mainboard (or computer make and model if it's a big name box) post that and someone here should be able to help. Your mainboard manual, if you have it, will also have details of the BIOS setup options,
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...