NF7 s2 No Audio?

Thread: NF7 s2 No Audio?

Registered User BlueShadowDemon's Avatar

NF7 s2 No Audio?

A friend brought me his computer, and I am completely stumped. He has onboard sound on a NF7 S2, and there is no audio. I have the drivers installed for it, but something that is weird is that when I go into the device manager it has an exclamation next to a PCI modem thats not even in the computer. I've tried uninstalling that device and when I reboot it sees a PCI modem again and tries to install it as that. I've tried re-installing all of the chipset drivers and its still not working. I have no idea what to try next.

Specs:
    Abit NF7 s2
    AMD XP 2800
    WIN XP SP2
    1 gig Ram
    AMD athlon XP 1700, 320 MB Ram, 40 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128mb RAM ... awaiting upgrade

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    These devices enabled in bios?
    Yes, the devices are enabled in the BIOS.
    AMD athlon XP 1700, 320 MB Ram, 40 gig hd, ATI Radeon 9700 w/128mb RAM ... awaiting upgrade

I have seen on some occasions,a PCI modem in device manager like you have. I loaded the drivers for grins and found the modem to go away and the sound card working. use this http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html (Everest Free Edition), to find the info on the phantom modem and re-install the drivers and see if this helps.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

This is way out in left field.... but was the motherboard replaced recently?

Either way I've had some issues with some sound cards not working. Have you tried all available plugs? I've had some screwy mobos where the pink is the speaker jack for some reason. Also,are all of the programs that it puts to laod at startup still loading or did you disable them? I've found some cards require them and other don't. In most cases when this type of crap happens tho... for $19 they can get an equivalent (or better) PCI sound card so I usually just opt for that instead...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    This is way out in left field.... but was the motherboard replaced recently?

Either way I've had some issues with some sound cards not working. Have you tried all available plugs? I've had some screwy mobos where the pink is the speaker jack for some reason. Also,are all of the programs that it puts to laod at startup still loading or did you disable them? I've found some cards require them and other don't. In most cases when this type of crap happens tho... for $19 they can get an equivalent (or better) PCI sound card so I usually just opt for that instead...
    Well, he has had this motherboard for a while and its an onboard soundcard. None of the jacks make any sound and everytime you try to go to the volume control it says no mixer and to install one go to printer and other hardware blah blah and when you try to go to sounds and devices it comes up as something like PCI MODEM #0 as what it is using for sound.

Zonie, thanks I'll try that when I get home.

I checked with Everest and it wouldnt give me any info to find out what kind of drivers I would need to install.

Are there jumpers on 5-6 and 9-10 closed on FPI02? or does the case have front audio ports on it and they may be wired wrong into this header. You can remove the front panel wires and short these two jumpers to see if that helps. Also this variation of the MOBO uses the AC97 Codec, not the NVIVIA SoundStorm.
    No matter where you go........there you are.

No, its not the jumpers. I have already checked that. Everywhere I have checked said that it used the SoundStorm, but I suppose not. I try installing the sound drivers using the cd that came with the motherboard but to no avail. Anyone else have any ideas?

I'm with street1. Quit ripping out your hair and try an XP repair install.

You can go here and get the current drivers and the manual for all the revisions of the board.
    No matter where you go........there you are.

Just peformed a repair. It didnt help.

Also re-installed all the drivers for the mobo. Still PCI Modem in the device manager with the little exclamation next to it.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Note:The below info is (SWAG)Scientific Wild A**ed Guess.

Have you ran Everest free edition?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Maybe you can go to the below site after you run everest.

http://www.opendrivers.com/driver/21...-download.html