Whistling PC - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Whistling PC

As I said:
    -It is definately NOT a fan
    -It is definately NOT my monitor (it's LCD anyway and the noise continues when it's off)
    -The sound definately comes from within the computer case
    -It may be a coincidence, but it seems to have started when I got my humidifier, but I also added a hard drive due to my recent crash

I'm pretty sure it's a coil as mentioned above but I haven't confirmed this yet.
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

Quote Originally Posted by parismouton
    Been watching this thread, has made me chuckle.

When i lived in Paris, i had a 'meowing cat' for about the last year in my appartment.
    It drove me nuts. Every 30 mins or so in the evening i heard it. A distinct 'meow'. I could never see the bugger!
    I asked the neighbours if they maybe left their cat out on the balcony overnight. no neighbours had cats. I spent a few nights looking from 5 floors up into the garden below, no cat to be seen.
    I moved back to the uk and forgot about it.....until i picked up the old pc from Paris a few months later.......back came the 'meow'.

yes, its a strange world, but my Athlon XP 2400+ actually does 'meow'. the only thing left of that original pc is the processor. Everything else has been changed.

Weird, but true.

Best wishes,
    Parismouton and his Digital Cat (in need of a name...)
    I always thought that was the gimp you kept locked in your cupboard making that noise?

emr

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL

Talking

gimp Good name for your cat parismouton.

emr you named the fantasy feline......Good choice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by street1
    gimp Good name for your cat parismouton.

emr you named the fantasy feline......Good choice!!!
    Parismouton has never had pussy.

emr

Quote Originally Posted by emr
    Parismouton has never had pussy.

emr
    says the man who was caught running around the appartment with my wifes knickers on his head...

Quote Originally Posted by parismouton
    says the man who was caught running around the appartment with my wifes knickers on his head...
    I thought we agreed never to talk about that?

emr

I had a brand new powe rsupply put out a VERY high pitched squeal just a week or two ago.. My boss couldn't hear it but I certainly could and it was kinda painful... it did it as soon as it was plugged in. I'd replace the power supply with another one just to see if that solves it... oh and... don't forget to be double sure your SATA drive plugs are in before turning on yer computer RAID boy.. :P
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Uh, Click, did you ever check the BIOS like I suggested? I could well be wrong, but you won't know if you don't go.

Smile

I tend to agree with Platypus about the PSU being to possible culprit, You may have one that is noiser than normal for your hearing
    I too can hear and differientiate different sounds, Yes I hear the pizza driver pull up, I know when something is wrong with the car ( My rear axle rattles worse than on old hard drive )
    I have an Asus p4p800 with chirping USB ports, whenever I use a USB drive it chirps away , Hard to RMA
    I would try another PSU and go for more wattage, Antecs are good, I have a few of them, You may have recieved a noisey one
    At least my computer does not meow, it just purrs away
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    Why? Because low humidity damages your health, which cannot be replaced. Humidity must be at 40-60% to be healthy. Electronics can be replaced, our health cannot.

So much hi-jacking of this thread already my 2 cents wont' hurt...

If what you said about health and humidity is try why do I hear so much about people moving to arizona ( or other like places ) for their health? Always a HOT and DRY place?!?

As far as the computer, one of my jobs is working for a video game ( as in arcade ) place and we have to have a humidifier in the room with the machines at some places or they get too static zaps.... My vote is also for the power supply as I've encountered that alot and yes I can hear some of those whines that others can't... Not that my hearing is all that good but I can hear certain frequencies that others can't seem to...
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!