Strange brrrrrrrr noise during boot up.

Thread: Strange brrrrrrrr noise during boot up.

Strange brrrrrrrr noise during boot up.

Hello,
    I looked at a pc for a friend today which is making strange noises during boot up. Sometime after the BIOS splash screen is shown it starts to make a constant brrrrrrrrr sort of sound for about 5 seconds. (Or a fast clicking noise is another way to describe it.) I know its not the hard drive or any of the other drives and think it may be coming from the BIOS speaker. I havent had much time to look any further at it so am not 100% sure.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Quote Originally Posted by riddellcomp
    Hello,
    I looked at a pc for a friend today which is making strange noises during boot up. Sometime after the BIOS splash screen is shown it starts to make a constant brrrrrrrrr sort of sound for about 5 seconds. (Or a fast clicking noise is another way to describe it.) I know its not the hard drive or any of the other drives and think it may be coming from the BIOS speaker. I havent had much time to look any further at it so am not 100% sure.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
    Bad keyboard with stuck key? Bad cooling fan?

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    rgharper is probably correct but,you should also check the 4 pin power plug (molex)to
    the hard drive by trying a free one.

Sometimes that happens.Bad plug unstable power.

I dont think its a stuck key or bad cooling fan as the sound goes away after 5 - 10 seconds. Its definetely an electronic type of click not a mechanical click like a hard drive would make. I remember back in the win98 days if your computer locked up sometimes it would make this same noise when you moved the mouse across the screen. Im sure its coming from the BIOS speaker.

Could bad power to the hdd cause this?

How much RAM is in the machine? I remember older computers making a buzzing noise if they were set to only test part of the RAM and then speed (or buzz) through the rest. That's the first thing that came to mind when I read your first post...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

It has 256mb of ram however I dont think that is the problem as it happens after the memory test. In fact when I was trying to diagnose the problem I would use escape to cancel the memoery test eachtime and the noise would start well after that.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by riddellcomp
    I dont think its a stuck key or bad cooling fan as the sound goes away after 5 - 10 seconds. Its definetely an electronic type of click not a mechanical click like a hard drive would make. I remember back in the win98 days if your computer locked up sometimes it would make this same noise when you moved the mouse across the screen. Im sure its coming from the BIOS speaker.

Could bad power to the hdd cause this?

An inadequate or uneven supply of power can cause this.

It has happened with me a few times.

Riddle, I'd go through some of the basic tests already posted (particularly checking voltage on the power supply) and if everything looks good; well, MOBO speakers are really a lot like a human appendix, but much easier to get rid of. Sometimes you get some odd bit of corrupted BIOS code that causes some weird glitches that aren't really significant (though sometimes they do get worse). Often, some of these little bugs aren't worth killing.

We had a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading do something similar on boot up, it was juuuust clipping a wire only when the fan sped up on boot to feed the hyperthreading. Moved the wire, no problem. Is your friends' comp a P4?
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz