Control a pc through another (local network) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Control a pc through another (local network)

Quote Originally Posted by spirit & morality
    Well, after a couple of days that I use my new local network(Its a very big network, contains 2 PCs in my room ) I have some questions.

1. If PC2 shut off suddenly by any reason (power failure), how can I communicate again with it?? (since I must re enter the pass and thers no any second monitor)

2. Is there any program to share internet connection or its better let win xp pro sp2 manage it ? (the p2p programs stroke interner speed)

3. I want some distance between 2 PCs so I ll use an ethernet cable about 5 meters...will i have any loses?

4. Where is better to install applications, in PC2 (the weaker) or PC1(the stronger)

More questions later...
    1: Just power PC2 back up. No local presence is needed to gain access with remote desktop.

2: Its really not the function of XP (in this case) to share your internet connection. Your router will take care of this for you.

3: 300 feet (100 meters) is the limit on Cat5 ethernet. 5 meters is absolutely no problem.

4. Depends on the application. If its a P2P app you just want off of your main machine, I would put it on PC2 and manage it through remote desktop. I can't think of any other programs other than a virus scanner that would be a benefit to have on this machine.

Banned
    2. And what if i want 10% internet share for PC1 (just surfing on sites and yahoo messenger) and 90% share for PC2(p2p, torrents) ?

5. Should I have antivirus for both PC1 & PC2?

6. I hear that many people use second pc(PC2) as ftp server...what is this?
    Last edited by spirit & morality; May 16th, 2006 at 04:49 AM.

2. And what if i want 10% internet share for PC1 (just surfing on sites and yahoo messenger) and 90% share for PC2(p2p, torrents) ?

2: What you are hinting at is called a 'bandwidth limiter' but Its more time/trouble/money than you want to get into. It will work just fine if you let both PCs have whatever bandwidth they want.

5: yes

6: FTP is a way to share a folder over the internet with read and write access depending on what priviledges you give.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar

2. - There are bandwidth limiting routers out there, but honestly, I wouldn't bother. If you're only surfing and using instant messengers on PC1, its only going to pull what bandwidth it needs (pretty low for those two items).

5. - Most definitely get AV on both of them, right now!!!

6. - An FTP server is just a computer with files on it, and you access those files via a FTP program. Are you wanting to access these files just within your own little network, or do you want to be able to get at the files on PC2 from outside of your network (over the internet)? If you only want to access these files internally on your network, don't bother with a FTP server, just use windows sharing.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Yeah, what John_K said - we must've been typing at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    Yeah, what John_K said - we must've been typing at the same time
    At least we agree..