Xbox 360 vs. Playstation 3 (Poll)

View Poll Results: What are you (not) going to buy?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Going to buy/already bought an Xbox 360

12 30.00%
  • Going to buy a PS3

10 25.00%
  • Going to buy both consoles

1 2.50%
  • Will not buy either

19 47.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 vs. Playstation 3 (Poll)

Arrow Xbox 360 vs. Playstation 3 (Poll)

We know the Xbox 360 is out, you can buy it right now infact, its not exactly cheap, but its currently the most powerful console money can buy. Yet Sony is saying, "wait for our PS3, coming in November at a start price of ~US$ 600".

Estimates put the Xbox 360's price in November close to 150$ less than it is now(core console is now ~US$ 300), and it will be stocked in plentiful numbers. By November, when the PS3 is launched, you're going to have a frenzy no doubt, games like GranTursimo are only available on the PS consoles (just as Halo is only there for the Xbox), and aficionados are not going to be deterred by the price, this means a definite shortage of available consoles for the masses, again giving the Xbox an advantage.

Specs comparison of both consoles, here.

Personally, I'm a pure PC gamer, I see the need for a console, but at prices these days versus the prices older generation consoles used to be, its either a full out PC or a console for me, and the former holds alot more value in my mind.

What are you going to buy, or already have bought?

I dont bother with the consoles. I find its another expense when I can have just as much fun on the computer. For the kids though, they have always had an xbox but I'm waiting for the ps3 to upgrade them and not bothering with the xbox 360.
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

I have been an XBox fan for years and I have extensively played the 360. The graphics are crystal clear, the sound is great and so far I'm really liking the games. Currently I play FightNight Round 3, which is incredible on XBox live, Black and Prince of Persia Two Thrones.

The PS3 would really hard-pressed to do a better job but let's not say it can't be done.

The old XBox and PS2 was clearly a case of the xBox having better hardware and the PS2 having more games. I didn't say better...lol, just more.

Now as for the price.... Let's get real, IMO anything over $450 and the PS3 will flop. I don't see the average gamer spending that much money.

Don't do consoles myself, and as long as my daughters are happy with their game cube and the neighbor's PS2, I'm not switching.

I've had a 360 since launch day and love it. Sony is crazy thinking that the masses are going to pay $600 for a console. I know I won't buy one. However, I will be first in line to get a Nintendo Wii

I will however go to one of my friends who are willing to shell out for the PS3 and give it a try.

I'll buy one when the rumours start about PS4. Then pick one up for peanuts and bug free.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

From the guy who has purchased every single console from the early Nintendo days to current, including a Dream Cast and the hand helds, No Mas. The boys are old enough now to shell out for their own consoles and at $600, the PS3 is way out of the price range for a wish list item. Good luck Sony. Why pay that much for a game console when you can get a PC for not much more? And yes, I am considering the cost of graphics card and memory upgrades.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

They have priced themselves right out of the market if it really comes out that high. I say that because I'm not so sure they will. I know they say that's the deal but there are already rumors of the 360 dropping there price by 100 dollars. They will really be shooting themselves in the foot if they do.
    Could it be another "Betamax?"

Won't be buying...

Not until the price comes down below 300. I have bought every system since the Atari 2600, usually on launch day, but I can't get excited about the PS3. I have a computer. The Wii... I will be buying. I HATED the N64, the Gamecube was pretty good, but I love Nintendo for shedding the bigger/faster/slicker means better game. I think the Wii will make gaming fun again, and that's all I really care about.
    -Come on, I'll lend you money for a coffee.

I think one thing being overlooked here is the Blu-ray drive. Those are supposed to hit the stores at about $1000, but the PS3 will have one for under $600. I know alot of people who bought a PS2 because it played DVD's back when a DVD player was pretty much the same cost as a PS2, that could also play games. I'm not saying everyone wil jump on the PS3 for this reason, but I believe a significant chunk of consumers who just NEED to get the latest crap will go for it.

Aside from that, the PS series has a huge fanbase and they have been waiting for this thing a good while.
    Common sense, isn't...

I agree that it's "cool" and "hawt", but at it's current price and with current market conditions, it's just not mainstream. The Blu-ray isn't really a selling point in my opinion, because it's not even a widely produced for format. Now, in 6 months, if Blu-ray seems to be the leader for high-def format, it will be a great deal, but if it's not, then Blu-ray isn't going to push any systems.

Especially when NEC has it's dual blu-ray/HD-DVD chips coming soon. A dual format player is going to abuse most any single format player in the market place.. unless it's just way too expensive.

I'm not disagreeing with you Shalafi, but the group that NEEDS things like Blu-ray the moment it's released is not going to be enough to float Sony's boat. They may do fine, but they have a struggle ahead of them.

does it play spider?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

As a matter of fact..... yes, yes it does.

Last edited by Crastabule; October 13th, 2006 at 12:23 PM.

Rofl!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."