cascading linksys routers

Thread: cascading linksys routers

cascading linksys routers

I have a cable modem connected to a befsr41 connected to a wrt54g that is enhanced with a wre54g.

The routers are connected on port 2. the cable modem goes into the wan receptor on the befsr41.

dhcp is disabled on the wrt54g and is enabled on the befsr41. Both routers are set to gateway.

Here's my question. I'm thinking of replacing both routers with a new pre N router. I think the added range might solve my problem. However, I've read that for the pre n routers to deliver at the high end of their technical range you also have to use N adapters in you laptop and desk top.

So, what happens if you do that and you also try to use the wre54g expander. Will you get the enhanced N standard expanded or will you take the whole thing down to the G standard range?

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Besides the fact that there still has not a standard adopted for "N" which would make me steer clear - anything you use that is of a lower performance rating (G, B, A, etc.) is going to be the bottleneck.................its like running 1" water pipes all through your house, and then reducing it to a 1/2" pipe right before it goes into the tub.

Regardless of the fact that your house is full of 1" pipes, water can only flow into the tub as fast as a 1/2" pipe will allow. Same logic applies to your "G" extender; anybody hitting it as an access point will be reduced to its maximum output of 54MB.

thanks, but you're not really addressing the question

I appreicate that you took your own time and replied but I'm interested in trying to find out whether or not the G expander will work or not. It's not a question of whether or not it will coexist or slow down the speed 54 mbps is fast enough for most people. My question is will it extend my range or will it in fact reduce my range. Let's get specific.

1) wireless G point to point will get about 75 feet. If I go pre n and use a pre N router and adapter I can get the distance to 150 feet. If I use a pre n router and a G adapter I think my range is 75 feet.

2) If go wireless g point to point and use a wireless g extender I get 125 feet.

so my question is: If I use pre n router and pre n adapted and put a G extender what will my range be? 75 feet, 150 feet, 200 feet? Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    Besides the fact that there still has not a standard adopted for "N" which would make me steer clear - anything you use that is of a lower performance rating (G, B, A, etc.) is going to be the bottleneck.................its like running 1" water pipes all through your house, and then reducing it to a 1/2" pipe right before it goes into the tub.

Regardless of the fact that your house is full of 1" pipes, water can only flow into the tub as fast as a 1/2" pipe will allow. Same logic applies to your "G" extender; anybody hitting it as an access point will be reduced to its maximum output of 54MB.

yes, but that's the same question

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    I guess I misunderstood. This is the only question in your first post, so I answered it:

maybe it's not quite as specific but it sounds to me like the same question. Do you get the range associated with wireless G or do you gat an enhanced range that might be associated with pre N. Judging from your response, I guess the answer is wait and see. There aren't too many people that have these things yet.

I just thought that someone might actually understand how all these things actually work and would be able to answer the question on first principles.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rss
    maybe it's not quite as specific but it sounds to me like the same question. Do you get the range associated with wireless G or do you gat an enhanced range that might be associated with pre N. Judging from your response, I guess the answer is wait and see. There aren't too many people that have these things yet.

I just thought that someone might actually understand how all these things actually work and would be able to answer the question on first principles.
    Yeah, I understand what you're asking now - my mistake. Anyhow, I don't have an answer, as I don't really know the specs of "N" yet. As I mentioned before, a standard has not even been adpoted yet, so its hard to exactly how it will work.