Vista available for public download
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vista available for public download

Vista available for public download

Finally they are releasing a public beta . Check it out, it's for everybody, apparently.

"Windows Vista Beta 2 Customer Preview Program
    Windows Vista Beta 2 is now available for you to install, test, and enjoy. Here's the information you need to try it now.

Evaluate Your Current PC
    Run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta to help get your PC ready for Windows Vista.
    System Requirements
    We recommend that you consult the Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready PC specifications for system requirement guidance on running the core experiences and advanced features of Windows Vista.
    Get Windows Vista Beta 2
    Windows Vista Beta 2 is available as a download or on DVD. It's time for clarity—try it now!
    Windows Vista Beta 2 Resource Center
    Once you have installed Windows Vista Beta 2, be sure to visit the Resource Center to download the Windows Vista Product Guide, find anti-virus software for Beta 2, and discover more information that will help you get up and running quickly."

Please let us know if you try it.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard1
    Finally they are releasing a public beta . Check it out, it's for everybody, apparently.

"Windows Vista Beta 2 Customer Preview Program
    Windows Vista Beta 2 is now available for you to install, test, and enjoy. Here's the information you need to try it now.

Evaluate Your Current PC
    Run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta to help get your PC ready for Windows Vista.
    System Requirements
    We recommend that you consult the Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready PC specifications for system requirement guidance on running the core experiences and advanced features of Windows Vista.
    Get Windows Vista Beta 2
    Windows Vista Beta 2 is available as a download or on DVD. It's time for clarity—try it now!
    Windows Vista Beta 2 Resource Center
    Once you have installed Windows Vista Beta 2, be sure to visit the Resource Center to download the Windows Vista Product Guide, find anti-virus software for Beta 2, and discover more information that will help you get up and running quickly."

Please let us know if you try it.
    Interesting - I may just give it a go, I have a few spare machines sitting around my desk at the moment.

got both versions tagged and coming down as we speak
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    got both versions tagged and coming down as we speak
    I'm trying, but I keep getting this:

Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista Beta 2.

We are currently experiencing a high level of demand and cannot process your request at this time.

Please check back later for availability. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Same here.

Give it some time - maybe wait until tonight or tomorrow. I'm sure there are many people trying to get it in the first 24 hours it's available. You could also try the unmanaged download (the one that says "Bring your own download manager") instead.

Before downloading the Vista Beta, I'd suggest reading: http://www.crn.com/showArticle.jhtml...frank+ohlhorst

'How to Serve Man'

Turned out to be a cookbook!

lol

It is way easier to use an ftp program.
    I tried 2 or 3 times and it said too busy co I copied the link into bpftp and away it went.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Before downloading the Vista Beta, I'd suggest reading: http://www.crn.com/showArticle.jhtml...frank+ohlhorst
    Unfortunately, the version they tested was not Beta 2. And their decision to test only on "portable" devices almost guaranteed that there would be problems. Lappies are notoriously finicky beasts even with an OS that supports them and with full chipset/driver support.

Heck, I once watched a guy literally burn up a laptop by installing an OS that didn't have the right drivers for power management.

Anyway ... the price is right and overall my experiences with Beta 2 in x86 flavor have been very good. Finding x64 drivers is a bit tougher but now that it's hit the Beta 2 milestone I'll bet it will get much easier RSN.

I even ran it for a week on my HP laptop as my primary OS at work - installed Office XP and all my SysAdmin tools on it and it worked great. The only thing that made me push back to my usual OS (Server 2003) was the lack of support for syncing Outlook to my Pocket PC. I'll probably get that back when they release ActiveSync for Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Download here:
    But of course, until you get a product key, the download's pretty much useless except as bragging fodder.

We have a few problems with it, foremost being incompatability with Active directory, but that may just be local to our setup. Users who are not computer savvy but can function with XP or 2K will have a tough time as there are quite a few changes to simple things like locations of shortcuts to "My Computer" and the other normal desktop icons. Tabbed browsing is a plus, tho...
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

What AD problems did you see? Some settings didn't carry through (like our mandatory screen saver settings) but by and large it worked well for me on our 2003 AD domain.

WooHoo installing now...
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices