Windows xp pro randomly shuts down
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Windows xp pro randomly shuts down

Windows xp pro randomly shuts down

I am having a hard time figuring out the problem. My xp will randomly shutdown.

First the desktop icons turn to icons that you would usually see with files that aren't associated with anything. Then my computer logs out and shuts down.

If anyone knows what is causing it please help. The computer in question is also the family computer.

Not sure where to start...other than we need more information!

some system details (Complete OS details, some general Hardware info, age of system)

If the machine is online, it's probably malware or virus activity - do you have protection?

have you installed/updated any software or hardware recently?

the more details you can provide, the greater chances are that "we" can help you diagnose your problem!

Good luck!
    Do all the good you can, whenever you can, for whomever you can...

Do you have a restore point from before this started? If so, try to restore.

I would strongly suggest you virus scan soon.

The machine in question is 4 1/2 years old and runs windows xp pro updated to service pack 2. I recently switched to cable modem and have installed earthlink software (browser, virus scanner, email program) on the machine.

You can download Adaware and Ewido and run them (free versions).

You have a 4 1/2 year old comp - ever cleaned out the dust?

Heat does strange things to computers as well as people.

Quote Originally Posted by MHS
    I am having a hard time figuring out the problem. My xp will randomly shutdown.

First the desktop icons turn to icons that you would usually see with files that aren't associated with anything. Then my computer logs out and shuts down.

If anyone knows what is causing it please help. The computer in question is also the family computer.

What anti virus are you using?
    What spyware removers are you using?
    What are the system specs?
    Have you tested the ram?
    Checked to see how hot this machine is running at?
    Last edited by NooNoo; June 20th, 2006 at 02:12 AM.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

MHS, at 4 and a half years old the power supply might be suspect, especially if it was a cheap machine.

We have thrown a bunch of questions at you and if you are not used to tracking computer problems you are probably wondering why the diverse questions when you were hoping for a fix. Unfortunately symptoms such as yours are not easily diagnosed. If you recently got the broadband connection without antivirus and firewall software, it is likely that the machine is infected with a virus or with spyware.

There are several free antivirus both on line and offline and the same goes for spyware.
    free antivirus to download

online antivirus

free spyware

trojan and worm killer

I suggest you use all 4 above - different packages find different things.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Mm... so yeah could be anything... may be your power supply... or CPU heating... probably the heatsink fan on the cpu is not working...

Guess what people, it was some earthlink software that was causing the problem. I uninstalled that and now the computer works.

Glad to hear you sorted it out.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I'm having a shut down problem to

amd athlon xp 2200 running at 1.9ghz
    1gb ram
    nvidia fx 5200 256mb ram
    win xp pro

about a week ago my computer started shutting off randomly without notice have to shut it off at the power supply to get it to turn back on. The only time I can get it to run without shutting off is when the internet is disconnected at the back of the computer. I have cable internet and from the cable modem I run a wireless router and my pc is plugged into that. I'm going to remove the router to see if that does anything but if it doesn't does anyone have any idea to why my computer just shuts off randomly but only when connected to the internet? There is now shut down sequence it just goes off like someone unplugged it exept because my power supply is switched and constantly supplies power to the motherboard the leds on my keyboard stay on(numlock, caps, ect.)

I would suggest a couple things to check.
    That could be a faulty power supply, try another.
    Also it could be heat. Has the pc sounded noisier then usual lately?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

It could also be going to sleep and not waking up properly - the video card doesn't start displaying so you think it's blank.

The other thing to check is that windows is not allowed to shut off the network card to save power.

dun did that

I've switched out power supplies that was the first thing I did. And its not going to sleep or anything my computer stays below 50c both motherboard and cpu. I'm thinking it might be faulty ram or something along those lines. I'm scanning to see what all I can find that might be wrong. But the only way so far that I can keep the pc running is to take out the ram modules I had in it and put the only other module I had in (256). So it runs at a snails pace but it still running as far as I know. Thank god my wife left her laptop here
    The part thats starting to worry me is I might have to buy some new ram and I don't have the money. anyone know how to fix ram?

Well ya can't fix ram as such. It might be that the wrong settings in bios are causing a problem and it might be just one stick is faulty or that the slot it fits into is faulty.

So what you have to do is get a good ram checker like http://www.memtest.org/ or http://www.goldmemory.cz/ and run the tests with one stick at a time in one slot, then move that same stick to the next slot. If everything checks out, run the two sticks together and then swap the two sticks over.

Run at least 7 complete tests (takes about 25 mins for 7 on memtest) to minimise the risk of a small error going untested.