Windows xp pro randomly shuts down - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Windows xp pro randomly shuts down

How are you connecting to the wireless modem?

network card?

usb wireless dongle?

wireless connection

the computer I am having a problem with is connected via wire not wireless. my connection is
    cable from wall-isp issued cable modem-then run into a wireless router from the router its connected by wire to my computer the I use the wireless signal for this laptop.

Its wierd I got it working for a day and then it shuts off and takes about 5 times before it stays on for 15 minutes or more. I let it sit for about 16 hours and now it hasn't stayed on for more then a couple of minutes.

Chevy, there are a couple of things to consider besides RAM and motherboard problems. You might try another network adapter if you can get one, but I'd really have to think that your computer crashing while online is symptomatic of a malware infection. A lot of these pests can cause major system problems, especially when you are online and they are trying to redirect your searches, open some popup ads, or whatever.

I'd start by taking the system off the internet, then running basic malware scans. For starters, what antivirus and antispyware programs do you use?

ok I am using system mechanic version 8 it comes with a spyware scanner and antivirus scanner by iolo. Its cleaned a lot of crap up and has found a couple of spywares but no virus. Had some memory problems and supposidly fixed that plus registry and other stuff. My computer is running faster and a little better but I still had the same issue with it shutting off. It seems to be running good at the moment. What I just got done doing was running a usb wire straight from my modem to the computer and installed a usb modem driver. That is holding at the moment but only time will tell. Like I said my computer only seems to be crashing when connected to the internet and this seems to be one way to see if its a hardware issue with my onboard lan connection. I'll keep you all posted and let you know what happens. If it stays running overnight I'll put my other 512mb module back in and run yet another scan of the system and hopefully clean out that memory to. Hopefully that solves the issue. The has been a pain in the butt because I am really missing playing my games and being able to chat with my sisters and friends.

Ok could you disable the on-board lan either via the BIOS or device manager.

And if you could put in a pci network card and see how the computer goes then.

If not continue using the USB.

I'm thinking that your on-board lan card might have a hand in this problem.

yep me to I don't know why or how but I just put the other 512mb ram module back in and everything seems to be running good now. I was able to tweak everything back to where it was before the problem started. I have noticed with running the system mechanic and going through the hours it takes to clean out the crap and tweak the os it is running considerably faster and less jerkyness when scrolling and running graphical programs. If it stays running overnight I'm going to do the ultimate test and see how far I can push the graphic settings on flight sim x before it gets so bad you can't play it. If I can take it a level higher then what it is now then things are looking up. Thank god I'm so close to getting my computer back. Hopefully after tomorrow letting you know if it worked or not I won't have to get back on here.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by chevrolet_gt
    f it worked or not I won't have to get back on here.
    You could still stay for the cookies though.?

ramdonly screaming profanities!

well still happening not as much. It happened when I started up flightsim x and before it even loaded the plane up it crashed. It wouldn't start so I set everything back to default it still did it so then I unplugged my usb joystick which I plugged in to play my game and now its running again. ??????????? can you fix usb's? I have 4 usb ports in the back. 2 I am using for the internet connection and mouse those are on a seperate jack below another jack that also contains the lan port. I'm thinking that that is what has gone back if so is there a way to test that and possibly repair without replace the motherboard or doing anything to extesive?

does your usb joystick have separate drivers or does it just use the standard windows ones?

It could be that one of the usb devices was drawing more power.... each set of two ports has it's own controller. The mouse and the modem should be fine together, was the joystick with the mouse or the modem?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

um U=lan I=usb I hope you can get what I'm trying to demonstrate

UII-at the present moment I don't have anything plugged into these ports
    II-this is where my modem and mouse are plugged in

Do you understand what I am saying? The usb modem was not originally plugged in and I was using the lan. The only other things I have to plug in using usb ports is my printer and my joystick. hmmm???

Right ok, but are you saying that when you plug in your joystick, it starts shutting down again? You plug your joystick in the UII socket...so it's on its own controller (or should be)

Make and model of joystick?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

its a saitek av8r-01 but I don't think that thats the issue. It still randomly shuts off but its worse when I use the onboard lan but doesn't do it as much when using the usb modem. I'm trully stumped I normally can figure this stuff out on my own but this is getting rediculous. What really pissing me off is that I can't connect to myspace messenger now and thats the only way I keep in touch with my family and now I can't do that. I don't want to reinstall windows because I don't have the disk and will have to reload everything which will take hours and hours. By the way anyone know how much a sledge hammer costs? Can a bad processor do this? I can't remember if this did this before I upgraded my processor. I went from a amd athlon xp 2000 to a 2100. I have various parts but I'm thinking that is the processor is bad I might be able to get another one maybe a little better for cheap because its so out dated. What do you think? Maybe my next day off I'll go back and see if that does anything different. But like I said I can't remember if it did this before the upgrade. Its funny how sometimes the simple solutions are the ones that come to you after everything else.

OK have you disabled the onboard network card yet?

I've switched everything out even another motherboard and processor disabled the lan used usb modem unplugged everything I don't need and also yes I did switch out power supplies nothing seems to do it the only things I havn't switched out is the harddrives but I don't have the resources to switch them out and don't have a valid copy of windows to reinstall the system if it will stay on that long. I can build my own computer for $300-$400 that will blow that one away. Yesterday I just tossed all my parts into a corner and blew it off. Unless someone comes up with a solution that has worked on their computer that is having the same issues then I'll just dream of getting another desktop. But thanks for all your suggestions. I'm just getting to stressed out to deal with it right now.

OK, what I think we need is a bullet point description of the problem. You seem to have two different problems.
    What does event viewer have to say?