[RESOLVED] Diff. Viewing som webpages

Thread: [RESOLVED] Diff. Viewing som webpages

Resolved [RESOLVED] Diff. Viewing som webpages

Greetings: Recently I've been having issues viewing a few different websites. In one case (PayPal.com) I can see the text but all images come up as unavailable and the page itself has no color. All the links work but it took me awhile to be sure it wasn't a hoax site. A second example is www.musiciansfriend.com. Safe music site but on my PC it comes up page not found. I've scanned for all the usual stuff and PC comes out pristeen. I'm a PC tech so I like to think I know aht I'm doing. Any thoughts? Chris

couple of thoughts.... what browser are you using? Have you tried reinstalling it? Maybe you have pictures from paypall blocked? I know you can do that in firefox..... not sure of others.

as far as the other site, have you checked your hosts file to make sure it didn't somehow get added there?
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Works fine here so tis not a site issue
    Yes do check the hosts file
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Red face Bing0

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I haven't donw a lot of work with host files and a few weeks ago I downloaded a program that did some blocking. I suspect that was the culp. as I found the blocked sight listed there. I wound up renaming my hosts file and rebooting. Now both the blocked URL and PayPal comes through.

Will my host file rebuild on its own now that I've renamed it?

Chris

Talking Backed Up

Actually I just checked and a BU of the hosts file from Micro Soft has stepped up to the plate. My thanks to Bill Gates and Co.

I'm all set AND I've learned my one new IT thing for the day.

Chris

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    The one put in place by MS is just a blank file, so you're no longer using the hosts file to block anything. The other thing you could do, is use the original hosts file, and just comment out the lines you want to ignore by putting a semi-colon in front of them like this:
    Or, just simply completely delete the lines containing sites you don't want to block.