DMZ IP Address Help

Thread: DMZ IP Address Help

Question DMZ IP Address Help

I am using a Linksys RV-016 VPN Router. I have Verizon DSL with a Static IP. I configured the router and all computers sucessfully communicate with the internet. The router has a DMZ port for use specifically with a server that you need to have publicly available to the inernet. I plug my Win2003 SBS into the DMZ port and the configuration askes for a IP address. Do I give it the same static IP address that verizon provided me for Internet Connection? This IP address is configured on the router, does the DMZ use the same IP? Or do I have to go to Verizon and get a "2nd" Static IP just for the server? Also on the server do I assign "Obtain IP automatically" or hardcode the IP in.

I can not get the server to obtain an IP address currently, I think I need help on both the router and server side as for the propor settings and configuration.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks!!
    -----------------------------------
    If all fails....Use a sledgehammer !!

UPDATE:

I set the IP address of the server, gave it an IP Address outside the DHCP Range the router gives out. On the Linksys Router I set the DMZ Host to be this W2K3 SBS IP Address. ALso on the router I set the DMZ Setting for the Public IP Address. I have the W2K3 SBS plugged into the DMZ Port of the RV016 Linksys Router.

So now the Server has Internet Access, can see the internal Router. I still can not get into the server from the outside. I tried http://IPADDRESS/exchange, http://IPADDRESS/default, http://IPADDRESS:80, and others and I can not seem to hit anything. I want to access the remote features of the SBS (Small Business Server) and also the special application installed for the business.

With the application I am using, I should be able to go to the web and type http://IPADDRESS/Application Name and it should take me to the interface of the remote application. It does this when you try it internally.

I also tried to set up a test FTP and when I try to access it it tries and tries (flashlight searching) and then gives me the message that "Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.".

If anyone has any experience setting up a Win 2003 SBS on a DMZ port or has similar knowledge on how to properly set this up please reply.

Thanks

I think all you need to do is find the IP address of the server 192.168.xxx.xxx and put that in the DMZ.
    It isnt the ip that your cable company gave you.
    But frankly i think what you are doing is a risky buisness.
    If you want an ftp or http server just forward the port you want open to the IP of the server
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

I spoke to Linksys about this. They too said I should port forward. But what is DMZ for then?? Also they told me the Server should not be plugged into the DMZ Port on the router that the DSL Modem should be plugged into it. I am really confused.

So, to make it easy, should I:
    Plug the server into a normal port on the switch?
    Just forward the ports I need open to the IP of the server (i.e. 192.168.1.150)?
    Does DMZ need to be used or configured at all on the router???

Thanks for you help.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCardMan
    I spoke to Linksys about this. They too said I should port forward. But what is DMZ for then?? Also they told me the Server should not be plugged into the DMZ Port on the router that the DSL Modem should be plugged into it. I am really confused.

So, to make it easy, should I:
    Plug the server into a normal port on the switch?
    Just forward the ports I need open to the IP of the server (i.e. 192.168.1.150)?
    Does DMZ need to be used or configured at all on the router???

Thanks for you help.
    Absolutely do NOT use DMZ! This opens all ports on the router to your server. To all intents and purposes all your server ports will be open and accessible from the Internet unless you are running a firewall on the server.

Use port forwarding, this way you can be selective about which ports you want to have open.

emr