[RESOLVED] Missing Hdd IDE Pin - Help asap

Thread: [RESOLVED] Missing Hdd IDE Pin - Help asap

Resolved [RESOLVED] Missing Hdd IDE Pin - Help asap

Greetings, I'm trying to restore data off a hard drive that seemed to have survived a fire. I had to detach the Hdd from my ribbon cable in the new PC and when I did a pin pulled out. I beleieve it is pin 18. I've tried to push the pin back in. Can anybody offer an assist on how to get this working. Turns out the doctor's asst. didn't know how to back up and well you can fill in the blanks.

Chris

This thread elsewhere discusses this issue - frankly, the logical step is, if any data is VITAL, take it to a data recovery venue and pay da man!

If not too critical, a repair shop MIGHT be able to fix it.

http://www.computing.net/hardware/ww...rum/42071.html

Lightbulb

Thank you, I was hoping there was a quick safe fix. i have sent it off to a data ret. company. Thanks Chris

There was also usually the option of obtaining an identical drive and pull the circuit board off it and put in on the drive in question long enough to boot the drive and get the info.

Hi there I know this might not help you noe but just or future referance and for anybody here now who has this trouble it is very easy to remove the circuit from the hard drive. once you have done this get you self a bright work lamp, a clamp or jig, a very fine tipped soldering iron, and some thin wire. cover the wire lightly in solder so it now looks like a silver pin, using a pair of tweezers pick up the pin and position it in the gap where the old pin was, then with the soldering iron apply some heat to the base of the snaped pin on the pcb - after a couple of seconds the tweezer will get warm gently remove the tweezers to find that the pin has held. I have to done this to about 3 harddisks now and all of them are still working to this day. The soldered pin is more secure than you would give credit for.