Problem with windows xp installation

Thread: Problem with windows xp installation

Problem with windows xp installation

I am having a problem with installing windows xp pro on a sata hard drive. My problem: I boot from the windows cd, load the files from the floppy by pressing f6, files are then copied and it restarts like it is supposed to. After it reboots, installation will not continue, it just boots from the cd and starts all over again. I have tried just about everything, does anyone have any advice?

Hard drive: Samsung sp2004c 200gb
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 nForce4-4x chipset

thanks

Welcome to WinDrivers:

In my Asus manual I read that I would have to 'configure Sata as IDE' in BIOS to use it and connect it to the Sata 1 or 2 I believe connection plugs.

What does your manual say?

This manual says nothing about configuring sata as ide in bios, only that I should install required driver for the sata controller on the motherboard during windows installation. But I have tried that and it still keep doing that re-installation. By the way I think that I have connected the hard drive to SATA 0 connection plug.

I was noting connections in my Asus - yours is different.

So, your manual says to create a Sata driver disk from your install cd - right? So at some point during the windows install it asks you if you have any third party drivers to install and if so press F6 (I believe) and you have to do so quick and then a little while later it says "insert the third party driver disk in drive 'A'" - right?

yep

There is a typically confusing note at the bottom of page 37 in your manual that says you should 'select NV Sata1 class code to 0104' if you are using Sata0 or Sata1 plugs.

Did you do that?

In my manual on page 37 there isn't that note. Perhaps you have a different version of this manual or something.. Anyway, maybe I should do that. Is there some option in bios then?

Well, I suggest you go to the Gigabyte site and check the latest manuals and see if that is right - sure looked like the right manual to me.

http://america.giga-byte.com/FileLis...l_k8nf-9_e.pdf

That page is almost same that I have, except in my manual there aren't those NV -prefixes. For example on that page there is "NV SATA 1 Primary RAID", whereas in my manual there is just "SATA 1 Primary RAID". And those class codes are missing in my manual too.

I just remembered that I have one free IDE hard drive. Maybe I should try to install xp on that and add this SATA hard drive then.

The trouble with mopst of these 'Chinese' type mobos is not in their quality - many are VERY good - the failing is in their lack of decent support and interpreters that actually understand English.

Most of their manuals are jibberish and their support sites worse.

If it wasn't for the quality, and users willing to experiment and talk about them, I would say just buy USA!

BUT, that isn't a GOOD thing if there is no competition.

Good luck on your journey - I truly suggest you find a chat/forum site for your mobo and start conversing.

I've had problems getting SATA to work too.
    Is the hard drive SATA2 and the motherboard SATA1 only? If so, at least with the western digitals we had with certain motherboards, we had to jumper pins on the hard drive to "dumb" the drive down to SATA1 in order to work properly.

Does the SATA drive show up as detected in BIOS? if so, is it under a third or fourth primary IDE? If not check to see if there is a setting somewhere in the BIOS for changing the SATA configuration from RAID to IDE or something to that fact... I had to do a BIOS update to a board to get this function once...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by tcae
    I am having a problem with installing windows xp pro on a sata hard drive. My problem: I boot from the windows cd, load the files from the floppy by pressing f6, files are then copied and it restarts like it is supposed to. After it reboots, installation will not continue, it just boots from the cd and starts all over again. I have tried just about everything, does anyone have any advice?

Hard drive: Samsung sp2004c 200gb
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 nForce4-4x chipset

thanks
    After the first reboot, enter the bios and change your startup order to the sata drive first, CD rom second. Typically you get prompted to boot to CD...sounds like you are not.

If that were the case the CD should be asking to press a key shouldn't it? if not, the cd boot stuff isn't seeing a valid boot thing on the hd...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    If that were the case the CD should be asking to press a key shouldn't it? if not, the cd boot stuff isn't seeing a valid boot thing on the hd...
    Thats what I thought...but just to be safe...