Compaq Presario Rebooting
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Compaq Presario Rebooting

Compaq Presario Rebooting

I'm having a tough time with a client pc and can't figure this one out. It's a Compaq Presario 5000. It will boot to Windows 98 (SE) and before completely loading startup programs, will reboot. I have tried a clean boot by using Selective Startup in the system config utility and disabling all options. Still does the same thing. I have also tried booting using step-by-step confirmation from the DOS startup menu and telling the OS not to load vxd's. Same problem. I am at a roadbloack. It will boot into safe mode and operate without the reboot. I also tried restoring the registry to an earlier date before the problem started occurring. I did this from the command line (scanreg /restore). Same problem.
    Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    "If life is a journey....Who's got the map?"

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    This acts like a weak -not dead Cmos battery.

Also I would take out the memory and clean the contacts
    with a new/clean pencil eraser rub gently to remove any
    tarnish or buildup.

I am assuming you have already assured the computer
    is clean inside.

The battery is something that I have not checked, but will. I wasn't aware a weak cmos battery could cause this type of problem, so that is good to know. Yes, the inside of the case is clean. I previously reseated everything and ran memtest86 to make sure it was not a memory stick giving me problems.

A weak CMOS battery can also cause a bad BIOS flash.It should be replaced as a precautionary measure before flashing BIOS in most cases.Most people just flash the BIOS without a thought and if it fails they don't even think about the CMOS battery.

Weak but,not dead or appearing to be failing ie....borderline is not so usual but,it is one of the mystery problems.

I have replaced the battery and still having the same problem. Any other suggestions?

Have also noticed this... If I boot the computer into Windows (user mode, not safe mode), it will load everything correctly and will not reboot. As soon as I move the mouse, it reboots. I removed and reinstalled the mouse driver... same problem. It is using the Microsoft legacy mouse driver and as far as I know uses the same driver in safe mode, so I cannot explain why this happens in user mode but not safe mode.

Okay you can right click on my computer-properties-Click on Advanced-Startup and Recovery-Click Settings-Uncheck Automatically restart.

See if this works-though it still doesn't solve the issue.I suppose the same thing happens with any mouse including PS/2 or USB.

This is a Win98SE machine and I believe you're thinking of XP.

Sorry about the XP crossover thing.If the below web page don't give you some relief........I am lost sorry.

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php#2

this could be any number of things...from power supply issues to corrupt drivers. check THIS Microsoft article for some tips.

street1...I found that page last night as well. I'm giving up and am going to try and do an reinstall over the existing win installation.
    Last edited by tobevers; July 7th, 2006 at 10:51 AM.

geeksRus,
    I have tried everything on the link you sent, also. Thanks for all the help, folks, but this one has me frustrated and more than a little torqued off. Gonna reinstall. If same problem exists after that, gonna strap dynamite to it and see if that helps.

Hi there. I would definitely try replacing the mouse with a known good mouse. I've seen at least 2 cases where a mouse causes hang ups or makes the system act erratically.

Tried it. I've tried a different PS/2 mouse, a different USB mouse, and when that didn't work, tried additional USB and PS/2 "mice".

Sounds like reinstalling is your next option. You said that you would reinstall over the existing win installation. Hopefully it will fix the problem but if not then (and I know it's a pain) you might need a fresh installation of the OS and hopefully that will do it.

By the way, since you're going through so much trouble, you might want to create an image (Ghost or True Image) of your hard drive once everything is working fine; it will save you hours of reinstallation and you can usually get your system back in operation in a matter of minutes.

I have ghosted an image of the existing install and put it on another hard drive so that I can do some serious messing with the registry (if necessary) and not have to worry about other changes I make.
    I tried reinstalling over the existing installation by running windows setup from the setup files stored in ./windows/cabs/options to no avail, same problem. I am now reinstalling over existing installation from DOS with the OS cd. I now have many more hours into this than I could possibly charge for, but curiousity is forcing me to forge ahead.

UPDATE: That didn't work either. I'm gonna wipe it and reinstall. I will then (assuming it works, which it certainly should) ghost an image of the drive to cd for future reinstallations. I've used up all the profanities I know and am now swearing in spanish and german (sadly, all I know in spanish and german are profanities).

Thanks for all the help/tips/suggestions, folks. I'll post the results.