XBOX Live

Thread: XBOX Live

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar

XBOX Live

OK, I don't really know a whole lot about XBOX Live, other than my son loves it .

Anyhow, here's what I'm trying to figure out, thought I'd post it here before I go googling and posting in regualar XBOX forums. So my son loves playing on this, and we're looking to limit his time online. I've found a few different linux distros I can setup to do web filtering where I can limit the amount of time a particualr user spends online, but I'm not really sure what exactly this XBOX live uses to communicate. I've thrown his XBOX online and used Etherreal to capture traffic while it's connected, but I don't see any traffic coming from it, so I'm not entirely certain it even uses TCP/IP protocol; except for the fact that if I disable DHCP on my local LAN, the XBOX doesn't get an IP address and won't connect to the XBOX live service.

Anyhow, does anybody know offhand what exactly this uses to communicate, and what it connects to specifically?.............I'm off to google this now, so if I find my answer before anybody posts, I'll post it here for everybody else's knowledge.

Thanks!

use this to get your mac address:
    http://www.csus.edu/reslink/ps2xboxmac.stm

Then my router has the option to set static IPs for mac addresses.
    Then setup an IP filter to only allow it during the "playtime" you specify.

I have a Dlink DI-624, but I'm sure there are others capable of this.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Xboxes use standard tcp/ip protocol. I have several "special" XBoxes that run Linux and connect to the internet using the standards
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting. "Holy sh!t.. what a ride!"