Compuserve

Thread: Compuserve

Compuserve

I have someone who has used, and still uses Compuserve to get online. I just recently got him up onto aDSL and his compuserve application sometimes will not display anything (text or graphics) in the windows that are opened - only an asterisk shows in the top left corner.

Machine is a DELL laptop with fully patched/updated XPsp2 and the latest/updated software from CS...

Any help would be greatly appreciated - the CS site is not exactly tech-centric for troubleshooting their application!
    Do all the good you can, whenever you can, for whomever you can...

Does anything else work like IE or other internet related software?
    HAve you directly contacted Compuserve about this problem?
    Have you tested it on another connection/system?
    While I know this isn't what your looking for but I feel I must ask, what is it that he needs to use compuserve for? Isn't there some other programs or website that would offer the same thing?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

IE still works - and his Compuserve account is still availible through their web-access. I'm going to wean him off of the Compuserve application. He can still get to his emails through the web interface, and that is his primary concern.

He was using dial-up, so the Compuserve access was "ok" (like AOL)

I guess it's like those folks who love AOL - it's what they are used to, they like the interface and the way it "guides" them through the perils of the internet.

I still have not found anything on the Compuserve website, even after logging in as a user. I have not contacted CS regarding the error - I was hoping that someone else had stumbled on a similar situation.

Is he running the latest version of CS? (Compuserve not Counter-Strike )

After updating it I would call them.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

I'd bet on a "web accelerator" or something similar that works fine with the dial-up but doesn't like broadband.

When I first got him up on the DSL, this problem showed up. So I updated his Compuserve installation to the most recent (I think the release is 7.0). I think that the application may have even updated itself after the install.

That worked, once (maybe twice), then the problem came back.

I had not thought of a web-accelerator that may be a part of the "Compuserve experience". I did not see anything configuration-wise in that regards, but it may still exist! I'll look again...