Netstumbler

Thread: Netstumbler

Netstumbler

Ive just installed Netstumbler on my pc but have no idea how to get it to work. I have three wireless networks in my area including my own (The other two are the neighbours) but Netstumbler does not detect any of them. I assume I have a setting wrong somewhere. How can i get this to work?

First i expect a readme is in order
    http://www.stumbler.net/readme/readme_0_4_0.html
    Second: Frankly why would you want it to detect the neighbours unless you have express written permission to use it?
    Because using any wireless network without that (and frankly even with that ) can get you into hot water.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

First thanks for the read me link. I couldnt find anything of help when I looked.

Secondly, I dont want to detetct the neighbours wireless network for any reason other than Im just playing around with Netstumbler and assume that it should show all wireless networks within range and doesnt. In fact when my laptop first detected the neighbours wirless network I went over to their house and showed them how to turn on WPA as they had no security and I was able to access their net connection and their laptops files.

No probblem just giving ya info. I in fact use a small device from X-Micro which is both a USB wireless adapter and has a built in wifi detector.
    Kind of a very kewl little device
    http://www.x-micro.com/main-product-finder.html
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

ok great thanks for that.

Netstumbler is a great tool, but it has limited NIC support. If you need it as a diagnostic tool, just make sure your wireless adapter is supported. If nothing happens when you launch the program, your adapter just isn't supported.

I use absolutely the cheapest generic Realtek-based PCMCIA wireless adapter I could find for WLAN diagnostics on my laptop. There is virtually no software that doesn't support Realtek chips.

did you try the devices drop down menu? it provides compatibility options for some cards, the intel pro set prism doesnt work but ndis 5.1 does for me.....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

I've had a lot of problems with Netstumbler, half due to card incompatibility, half due to simple failure to detect the installed card. Usually if I just remove and reinsert the (PCMCIA) wireless card or disable/enable the integrated card, Netstumbler will now find and use the card.

Quote Originally Posted by riddellcomp
    Ive just installed Netstumbler on my pc but have no idea how to get it to work. I have three wireless networks in my area including my own (The other two are the neighbours) but Netstumbler does not detect any of them. I assume I have a setting wrong somewhere. How can i get this to work?
    ---
    Back with a vengeance.
    ---
    Try Windows Vista, the CE.ME.NT eXPerience...

Not sure how everyone else uses NetStumbler, but multiple-NIC support isn't an issue for me. I have it installed on one of my laptops, and I do SNR readings and site surveys without using the customer's machines at all. I've found it very reliable if used with supported adapters. Come on! It's a feebie! Work with its limitations. NetStumbler wasn't meant to be a tool to test a specific set of hardware in given environment; it was meant as a general-purpose diagnostic tool.