How to conect two isp to one network

Thread: How to conect two isp to one network

How to conect two isp to one network

Hi there, I have cable internet and my wife has ADSL at the moment our two computers can talk but only at the expence of the cable conection being ignored. Becasue of this I have disconected the network and so our computers cant see each other now and we are using our seperate internet conections - I either want to combine the internet conections or rig my network so all computers are conected but one machine uses one isp and the other the other.

why 2 internet connections when you can share one? this would make things a whole lot easier.

Whilst this is possible (manually change the metric of the default gateway on each computer), I do not understand why you would need to do this. If both machines can "see" each other, then they should both be able to use either the ADSL or cable connection.

Assuming the ADSL is the fastest of the 2 connections, why not just use a standard ADSL router, (most which have a 4 port switch and wireles capability) to link the 2 machines and allow them both to share the connection ?

guys your missing the point, I do a lot of internet gaming and my wife downloads
    a lot of tv episodes that is why we have 2 conections. besides I am locked in by contracts so I am stuck with both conections.

you might want to try a dual wan router. Dlink has one: D-LINK - DI-LB604 - 4-PORT CABLE/DLS Dual WAN Load Balancing Router. I've never used it but it sounds like what you're looking for.

The description of the product states:

One of the main differentiators the DI-LB604 has from most routers is its dual WAN ports. With the ability to connect up to two Internet connections, the total available bandwidth doubles in capacity and therefore provides a tremendous increase in network efficiency and user productivity. Dual WAN ports also provide a fast-acting failover response mechanism; if one Internet connection goes down, the other automatically takes control to ensure continuous network uptime.

I've never used it but it sounds like

Quote Originally Posted by gibberish
    Whilst this is possible (manually change the metric of the default gateway on each computer), I do not understand why you would need to do this. If both machines can "see" each other, then they should both be able to use either the ADSL or cable connection.

Assuming the ADSL is the fastest of the 2 connections, why not just use a standard ADSL router, (most which have a 4 port switch and wireles capability) to link the 2 machines and allow them both to share the connection ?
    ADSL fastest of the two....whoa, slow down....dont get ahead of yourself

Is there 8MB Cable out there - were on 8MB ADSL here, in the country, in the UK !!