Time to get back

Thread: Time to get back

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar

Time to get back

The last time I work with Linux was using Red Hat in 2002. I expect there have been some changes since then. I've worked with SCO Unix quite a bit in the meantime, but a lot of those installations were even older than that RH I worked on. Now I would like to get back into Linux. (mainly because I'm looking into jobs where it would be usefull) I think I would like to stick with Red Hat, as that seems to be the main thing out there in the business world.

I plan on dual-booting my main computer along with Win2k Pro. I have a 74GB WD Raptor on a Silicon Image SiI3112 SATA RAID controller. (built into Abit mainboard) Other specs: Athlon XP3000, ATI Radeon 9550 video, nVidia nForce on-board sound and network and an LSI Ultra3 SCSI controller and cheap-azz winmodem. (and I don't really care too much if the Linux can't see that SCSI controller or modem.

What is a good way to go about picking up a copy of the latest RH distro? Should I even be getting the latest? How tough is it to set up dual-boot with an existing Win2k install? Is there anything I need to be carefull of? What if the Win2k install gets hosed and has to be reinstalled?
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Fedora Core 5 is the latest Redhat desktop, since RH doesnt make desktop anymore only server stuff, now there still is RedHat but there last desktop version was 9.0

I suggest looking at getting Ubuntu, very good distro for workstations and desktops. I have not found a better linux desktop yet.

Im currently working on a app that will make it ez to join a windows domain with Ubuntu Linux.

http://www.daemonprojects.com/xantar/Screenshot-1.jpg
    http://www.daemonprojects.com/xantar/Screenshot-2.jpg
    http://www.daemonprojects.com/xantar/Screenshot-3.jpg
    http://www.daemonprojects.com/xantar/Screenshot.jpg

so when this is done it will be a big leep for linux workstations, helping the linux admins

Thing is, I really want a datacenter job at a hosting company. That means RH/Apache web servers. So perhaps running FC would be the closest? And yes, I've heard wonderful things about Ubuntu, and I would like to have the most usefull Linux install I could get, but I also want experience I can apply to the business world. My personal computer has always been a little testbed for technologies I felt I should learn. That's how I learned multi-processor, SCSI, etc. Now that I'm pretty much fully versed on server hardware, time to go software.
    || |||| | |||| |||

ubuntu has a server also. Why not use that, thy have support you can pay for also

OK, I downloaded the CD image for Ubuntu. Now I need to find a copy of EZ CD so I can use the iso image. Or maybe CD-Rwin or something. Anyway, will it easily do a dual-boot? I didn't really see anything about installation in the documentation.
    || |||| | |||| |||

Quote Originally Posted by FatalException0E
    OK, I downloaded the CD image for Ubuntu. Now I need to find a copy of EZ CD so I can use the iso image. Or maybe CD-Rwin or something. Anyway, will it easily do a dual-boot? I didn't really see anything about installation in the documentation.
    burn ISO's free on windows
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm