Wireless Configuration Problems

Thread: Wireless Configuration Problems

Wireless Configuration Problems

Hi,I have been using computers for years. But every time I try out Linux SUSE I feel computer illlterate. I have a new Dell laptop which has Window Media Center, I partitioned the drive and installed SUSE 10.0 and it detected all of my hardware for the most part. I have a wireless router(Belkin) with DSL through Bellsouth.net.It works perfect through Windows, but when i boot to linux,"NO GO". I have attempted to configure the wireless card to find my DSL router with no success. If any one could walk me through this process I would be greatly appreciated and it would allow me to spend more time in Linux to get to know it better.Once again thanks.

I don't know anything about suse, I however have Ubuntu booting my dell from a USB drive, picks up *Everything* even the winmodem. Wireless was easy to setup.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere
    Hi,I have been using computers for years. But every time I try out Linux SUSE I feel computer illlterate. I have a new Dell laptop which has Window Media Center, I partitioned the drive and installed SUSE 10.0 and it detected all of my hardware for the most part. I have a wireless router(Belkin) with DSL through Bellsouth.net.It works perfect through Windows, but when i boot to linux,"NO GO". I have attempted to configure the wireless card to find my DSL router with no success. If any one could walk me through this process I would be greatly appreciated and it would allow me to spend more time in Linux to get to know it better.Once again thanks.
    first off Id get Ubuntu linux, but since you downloaded and installed OpenSuse I guess I cans ee what I can do.

Does Suse detect your WLAN card? Also what brand and model is it? This will help to let me know if its supported by linux nativly or if you will have to emulate the windows driver on linux using ndiswrapper.

I do know that suse linux 10.x has alot of bugs alot of the features dont work. But there next release should fix them.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    ditto to what these 2 have said - Ubuntu is definitely my favorite distro of Linux, and it has some great wireless support. I wasn't able to ever get Linux to support my wireless card in my work Dell laptop until I installed Ubuntu and used the ndiswrapper to use a standard driver, then it worked like a champ for me!!

Ok, its worth a try...what would be the best way to unistall Suse 10.0 so that i may install Ubuntu?

Thanks

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    You can download Ubuntu. Burn it to a cd and run it live on your system. That means you don't have to install it. It runs off the cd. If it detects all your hardware, then you can install it on your harddrive.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
    Sergeant WOTPP