Problem with computer shutting down on its own
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Problem with computer shutting down on its own

Problem with computer shutting down on its own

Every once in a few days we get this system shut down box that pops up and gives us like so many minutes to close everything and it shuts down now since this happened our computer runs slow i mean real slow. I ran spyware and adware remover and it still runs slow. I'm thinking i should have this looked at by someone. Not sure.

Overheating?

It may be your fans are clogged up with dust and when the CPU reached a preset temperature limit the system shuts down.

Cleaning all fans with pressurized air or perhaps investing in a better HSF will resolve that.

Run Motherboard Monitor 5 to see how hot your gear is getting (CPU, motherboard).
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I will try to see if there is any dust or anything inside the computer where the fan is and clean it if there is. I'll let you know. Will that slow it down at all tho. Just wondering cause it was really running slow.

Ok i cleaned the computer and yes there was dust however it still is running very slow so slow that when you start it up it takes 5 to10 minutes just for my desktop to come up. I don't have it connected to the internet i reconnected the old computer til i can figure out what is going on. I am going to try and do a system restore and see what happens.

Uhhhh...guys? That doesn't sound like heat at all...that sounds like a virus (blaster, anyone?).

Don't do system restore - in fact, turn off system restore completely. Restart the system in safe mode by pressing the F8 key repeatedly as soon as you hear the "beep"...you should see a menu that will let you choose safe mode. If you don't see the menu and it keeps going into Windows, hit the key earlier...eventually you'll get it.

Run your scans in safe mode(with networking if you will need to download anything) and see if that takes care of it. If not, I recommend having a pro check it out.
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

Ok it's a compaq presario 6000. I ran spybot and this is what it said. System service has been identified as a threat: registry key: cmdservice It has been shut down. Check statis on the system services control panel. System service has been identified as a threat: network monitor It has been shut down. Check statis on the system services control panel. I am immunizing it as we speak.

I also keep getting pop ups on aol explorer for game sites things we never use so i am thinking it's adware or spyware.

Download and run Hijack This and post the results:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155

I tried all those recommendations and i can download those utility's and run them but it won't let me fix them at all. I think i am taking it to someone who can work on it. Would it be a good idea to buy like a clean sweep program or take it to someone. Thanks again for everything. I really do think it's a virus of some kind cause i cannot stop the pop ups at all and it's really annoying. I have tried everything and it won't stop.

There are tools out there to help that are freely available...go ahead and run the hijackthis, and barring forum limitations, we should be able to help you figure it out with the log post.

Once you post your HJT log we'll be able to make more meaningful recommendations.

Like i said it let me download it and run it but it won't let me fix it, it just freezes up. I think i am sending it to someone sick of messing with it i just keep getting frustrated.

Don't try to fix...just run it and post the log.

Do you have SP2 installed? if not then its the dreaded blaster... When I come up against blaster I just reinstall xp but with a slipstreamed SP2. As a short term fix you can go to the start menu and click on the run box, type CMD and type Shutdown -a in the dos prompt - that will Bodge it in the meantime - However you will have to do this every time you start windows and a fresh install is a much better fix.

Archangel hit the nail on the head with the virus issue. Blaster is certainly the most likely culprit, but not the only one. Read: http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.mspx

After the pest has been cleaned, you really need to get on top of your patches and updates.

Yep, Always after a fresh install run the windows update - the best form of attack is a good defense !!!