ASUS P5LD2 - Cannot get past the "Please Wait..." Screen while Installing Windows

Thread: ASUS P5LD2 - Cannot get past the "Please Wait..." Screen while Installing Windows

ASUS P5LD2 - Cannot get past the "Please Wait..." Screen while Installing Windows

Before you think this is a Windows problem, I have done some testing and playing around. I gathered this was a Motherboard problem after two days.

Now, the problem in detail is, I put everything together, correctly as I can tell. Despite the Motherboards crappy IDE setup, I managed to get things hooked up right. I put the Windows CD in, restarted, and the Windows install process started with the blue screen with the grey bar at the bottom and the various parts being installed. Then comes the screen where it says hit Enter to continue, hit R to do a repair install, or hit F3 to exit.

I hit enter, then it goes to the "Please Wait..." screen and hangs.
    Nothing happens then.

I restarted, tried again, and it hanged at the Please Wait screen. I left it on over night and nothing happened.

So the next day I tried various things, including different harddrives (both SATA and IDE) moving the memory stick, a different memory stick, a different optical device, even installing drivers (through the F6 part in the Windows install), and flashing the BIOS with a new version. I also looked around the ASUS forums for this problem but there was no solution as far as I could see.

As a side note, I took one of the IDE harddrives I was using with the ASUS and hooked it to a different system, and with the same Windows disk, installed the OS on the harddrive in a half-hour.

I figured the Motherboard was defective, and I will be trying to return it soon, that is, if no solution is found.

Setup:
    Motherboard: ASUS P5LD2
    Processor: Pentium D 930
    Memory: Corsair 1gig (single stick, I have a second stick but I don't have it hooked up yet)
    Harddrives: Western Digital 160 gig Sata or Seagate 400 gig ide harddrive (I've tried both but only one at a time)
    Video Card: ASUS EN6600/TD/128 Geforce 6600
    Also: A Sony Floppy, CDRW, Benq DVDRW (not hooked up), three more harddrives from old computers that will be hooked up if I ever get this computer going, and a sound card.
    Finally: PS/2 Keyboard, USB mouse in a PS/2 adapter

Update
    -------
    Okay, so now that Windows is installing on my computer, I am very happy.
    The problem was resolved, thanks to me digging through about 40 pages of forum at the ASUS official site. Though I don't really recommend this Motherboard, if it works fully and completely, then I guess I can't say anything critical any further.

Here, thanks to the user d.chatten, the problem was solved, all credit goes to him:
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

The only reason I am putting this, is that someone else may have the same problem and it may need fixing.

Thanks to anyone who looked.
    Thanks to that d.chatten guy, if he ever reads this.

PS
    Also make sure your jumpers are correct when hooking everything together, because my CD player was set to master, that might also have been part of the problem.

Timing and compatibility issues between mainboard and memory aren't limited to Asus products alone. I've used lots of Asus boards over the years, as have Gateway, Dell, HP, etc. and (mostly) I've been satisfied. MOBO mfgs post info about compatible memory and CPU's on their websites, but too many people fail to read the info and take it to heart. You can't assume that GOOD CPU+GOOD MAINBOARD+GOOD MEMORY=FUNCTIONAL SYSTEM. The mainboard's hardware revision and BIOS have to support the rest of the hardware properly. In some part, I blame E-tailers who really don't post specs that are nearly detailed enough, and links that may take you to the mfg's site, but not to a page with detailed info about the product.

Yeah, I should have went through the ASUS forum before buying.
    But, the Motherboard's manual says the memory is compatible, oh well.

I think that ASUS mobo's are good if you have money to buy beyond the basic model, but since I don't have a lot of cash, I bought the cheaper one.

I try to follow "you get what you pay for" philosophy, but sometimes it slips my mind.

Well, there's the help if anyone in the future needs it.