XP Internet Protocol

Thread: XP Internet Protocol

XP Internet Protocol

Hello. I went to control panel,network connections,local area connections, and internet protocol. i tried to change the general ip and when i did i couldn't get on the internet afterwards. Before the ip address had said to be configured by DCHP. All we have in our office is a sprint modem, and a belkin router. How do i successully change my ip address

You have three options:

1. Go back to DHCP and accept the IP given by the router
    2. Go back to DHCP and configure the router to pass the desired IP to your computer's MAC address
    3. Remain statically assigned and reconfigure the router to use an IP scheme that is in line with the IP address you assigned

I recommend option 2 for the ease of configuration and expansion and for the convenience of a central location with a list of all assigned IP's.
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

You cannot just change the IP, you have to make sure the IP scheme works on your network and it is available to use. You also have to put in your Subnet mask and default gateway settings.

You probably can leave your DNS settings to automatic.

Is there a particular reason you want to change the IP?

Are you just trying to get a static IP on that computer? If so just open a command prompt window and type ipconfig /all and write down the IP address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway settings and just input those into the TCP/IP settings.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Quote Originally Posted by BOB IROC
    Are you just trying to get a static IP on that computer? If so just open a command prompt window and type ipconfig /all and write down the IP address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway settings and just input those into the TCP/IP settings.
    This is not a recommended solution as some routers are not intelligent enough to check the network for a device with that IP on the network...using an address from the DHCP pool as a static can cause conflicts on the network, making more than one device not work properly.
    --Those who think they know everything annoy those of us that do.

How can i get to dhcp?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel42069
    You have three options:

1. Go back to DHCP and accept the IP given by the router
    2. Go back to DHCP and configure the router to pass the desired IP to your computer's MAC address
    3. Remain statically assigned and reconfigure the router to use an IP scheme that is in line with the IP address you assigned

I recommend option 2 for the ease of configuration and expansion and for the convenience of a central location with a list of all assigned IP's.

To go back to DHcp reverse the steps you took and set it to obtain an IP address automatically.

I have never had any issues setting an IP manualy as long as its in the subnet the router hands out. With aBelkin if i remember mine handed out
    192.168.2.100 up to 192.168.2.140
    i setup my static either in the 40 the router handed out or one above the 40 it handed out.(example=192.168.2.150/255.255.255.0/192.168.2.1 dns 192.168.2.1)