Odd NetMeeting Issue

Thread: Odd NetMeeting Issue

Odd NetMeeting Issue

Heya folks,

I'm working in a corporate environment, where all machines use a common image, the virus protection, firewall and spyware protection are all VERY carefully monitored, so I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue with any of those things.

This client wants to be able to remote into her office machine from her home machine (also provided by the company and using the same, monitored, image) and run NetMeeting on her office machine, and share the desktop on her office machine.

So, she can remote into her machine (uses a standard .rdp remote, no 3rd party software or anything), she can fire up NetMeeting, no problems. The problem is that the Remote Desktop Sharing option is greyed out, and thus unusable.

Now, if you're on the office machine and fire up NetMeeting, it's NOT greyed out. Also the service that runs the NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing is set to Automatic.

The client in question has full admin rights on both machines.

The only oddity that I see is that the NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing service, although it's set to Automatic, is stopped. And when I make it start, I get "The NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing service started and hten stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do..."

Anyone ever experienced this, or have any ideas on things I could try?

Thanks much.
    Perseverance in all matters.

Not quite getting why she needs NetMeeting on the office machine if she has already used RDP to access it?

Anyway, I would check your GPO, specifically Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | NetMeeting and the only entry in there which is Disable remote Desktop Sharing.

emr

Thanks for the reply, I'll look at that. As for why she needs to do it this way...why do users ever "have" to do something in one specific way? :P

Hrm, nope, I don't think that's it. It's set to "Not configured", and since the service is only to disable Remote Desktop Sharing, I would assume that's not it.

I would guess it is by design then. If you have made a successful RDP connection it must disable NetMeeting Remote desktop.

If she already has the desktop via RDP then she has absolutely no need to use anything else anyway. Besides RDP is more feature-rich than NetMeeting. Tell her that's it's one or the other as they both essentially do the same damn thing.

If she still wants both then personally I would smack her with her keyboard and tell her to cut the stupidity.

emr

I dream of the day when I can smack a user with their keyboard and tell them to stop being an idiot.

I think you're right, I think that RDP cancels out being able to share desktop, as essentially you're sharing a share. Thanks for the help.

This client wants to be able to remote into her office machine from her home machine (also provided by the company and using the same, monitored, image) and run NetMeeting on her office machine, and share the desktop on her office machine.
    I understand why she wants to do this. I want to do the same. Ie I want to share my work pc's desktop with my work colleagues but I'm at home using another pc so i RDP to my work pc first.

Did you find out how to share from within a RDP session ?

Nope. I'm not sure it's possible without some sort of 3rd party software.