FAT Error

Thread: FAT Error

FAT Error

My server hung and I had no recourse but to reset the system. When it rebooted, VREPAIR automatically loaded but reported that there was an error in the primary FAT entry and that both the primary and mirror entry sequence values are incorrect.

It identifies the exact primary and mirror FAT entries (identical values), attempts a repair, but at the bottom lines, it says that there was an error allocating replacement blocks for directory table, Volume directory table cannot be recovered, and volume repair was not possible.

I only have one drive where the SYS and MIRROR both reside.

Can anyone give me a clue or any ideas on what I can/should do?

are you saying you have the system drive and its mirror on the same drive? If so this is a poor design as it only protects against bad sectors, if the failure in the drive is with anything else but the media, the mirror (ie head, read arm...etc.) would be useless.... data recovery software may well be your only hope....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

I wasn't aware you could use one drive to mirror, especially as you say it's pointless, redundancy is supposed to protect against one of an array's set from pulling the system down when it fails, this can't be done on one drive.

Would be interested to know how this was setup and with what hardware\software.

... thanks for the replies so far... which only confirm what I have been afraid of all this time.

Truth is, I'm very new with this kind of concern. I just inherited the system from a previous admin and I thought that the system we had was 'normal'. I don't really know how it was setup.

Fortunately, I have a backup of all the important stuff. What I should start figuring out now is how to setup a more reliable system...

But will attempt data recovery first.