Never Ending Cycle of Restarting

Thread: Never Ending Cycle of Restarting

Exclamation Never Ending Cycle of Restarting

Hello all,

I have a HP Pavilion zv6000 laptop with Windows XP. Today, I tried updating my ATI Radaeon Xpress 200 Series driver. I updated the driver, but later I noticed a slight drop in performance on my game. Previous to installing/updating the driver, I created a System Restore point. From there, I restored my computer to its previous state. After it restored and began to restart, it would go to the Windows XP screen with the loading bar, following that, ascreen would come up saying:

"We apoligize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software cgange might have caused this."

Then it gives me the options of booting in Safe Mode, Last Known Good COnfig, and Start WIndows normally. I've tried all 3, but it doesn't even reach the log-in screen. What's happening is that its in a cycle of restarting before it gets to the log-in screen. I was wondering, is there anything that I can do in order to get past this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    Welcome to Windrivers

Try Repair installation.
    Thanks

Now, would this wipe my files that I have on my computer?

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    OMGmissinglink seems to have you covered.

You would need to download at below site and re-install Win XP service pack2 and any updates.Your files are supposed to remain intact but,backup=better safe than sorry.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html

To answer you last question, no a repair install done properly will not destroy any files. Since you have an HP i recommend you press f10 at boot, it should launch you into the HP recovery program, which can do a non-destructive repair for you. Be careful not to click the advanced button as this will lead you to a destructive recovery....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

Quote Originally Posted by Ahcoraj
    To answer you last question, no a repair install done properly will not destroy any files. Since you have an HP i recommend you press f10 at boot, it should launch you into the HP recovery program, which can do a non-destructive repair for you. Be careful not to click the advanced button as this will lead you to a destructive recovery....

In reference to what Ahacoraj said, when you manage to do a non-destructive repair, make sure you go back and get the files you need from the folder where the backup was made, because it most probably will keep all your files (your previous operating system files, program files, temp files, everything). It is an aweful waste of space. One you get everything out, you can safely delete everything else from that directory. Hehe... make sure you don't delete your new system folders.

P.S.: I didn't know how knowlegeble you are about Windows, etc. so if it seemed like I was talking to someone who has had little to no experience with windows, no offence intended .
    If con is the opposite of pro, what's the oppisite of progress?

-----------

I mean, if I went round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away! - Monty Python