McAfee error on Shutdown

Thread: McAfee error on Shutdown

McAfee error on Shutdown

At work we use McAfee Antivirus Enterprise 8.0i and occasionally on shutdown some of our computers will have an exception error with Mcshield.exe at 0xc00000008. The computer will sometimes shutdown by itself, but sometimes you have to click the "OK" button repeatedly to get the unit to shut down. I am not sure if this has something to do with Mcafee or the novell client as I have never seen it happen on a machine without the novell client. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this error and knows of a resolution.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

I found and downloaded Patch 13 for McAfee enterprise 8. I manually installed it on my computer but since the error is so random I may have to test it a while to see if it stops happening.

I tried to manually add the patch to the "McAfee AutoUpdate Architect" and it continuously fails and I do not know why.

Hopefully the patch will be the answer, but I cannot log into Enterprise support because I cannot locate the log in and I do not know our Grant number so they will not help me. The previous person that took care of this quit.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

Contact McA and explain - logically you should be able to grt that info from them.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Have the same error here on a small group of machines in the one lab. If they let it sit for a few seconds (even without clicking ok), it will shutdown on its own. Haven't had a chance to get back to that lab to look at it, as its not high on the priority list, but I will try the patch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    Have the same error here on a small group of machines in the one lab. If they let it sit for a few seconds (even without clicking ok), it will shutdown on its own. Haven't had a chance to get back to that lab to look at it, as its not high on the priority list, but I will try the patch as well.

Yeah it wasn't a high priority for me either until it started happening on the new laptop that was given to the superintendent. He bitched out my boss and told him he didn't want the POS laptop because of the error.

I am going to try and call McAfee tomorrow when I get to work because I cannot get the patch to load into the autoupdater so it can be put out everywhere.

An off the wall suggestion but...perhaps it's a hardware issue? We run the same software here and out of about 1,800 machines we've run into about 10 that have an issue with that, or McAfee's firewall software. After some testing we found that all of the machines in question had either faulty RAM, bad sectors on the hard drive or (in one case), both. Replacing the bad components fixed the issue.
    Perseverance in all matters.

Bob - question for you, do you by chance use ghost to make images of your machines? We're having this problem on a few different machines now, and the only common factor I can find between them is that they have all been ghosted recently.

Yes I do use ghost to distribute my images, but 2 of the computers that have it were never ghosted. 1 being mine and I installed everything from scratch and the other is a brand new laptop that I installed everything from scratch. Now I have uploaded images from these computers, but they have never been ghosted.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB IROC
    Yes I do use ghost to distribute my images, but 2 of the computers that have it were never ghosted. 1 being mine and I installed everything from scratch and the other is a brand new laptop that I installed everything from scratch. Now I have uploaded images from these computers, but they have never been ghosted.
    OK, it was just a thought. I was wondering if maybe something between syspreping and ghosting was causing problems with the updating process through the server side.

Well I installed Patch 13 for McAfee enterprise and the error has not returned, but it was so random when it did happen that it may take a little while longer to declare it officially gone. We shall see. Thanks for all the replies.

Well I installed Patch 13 for McAfee enterprise and the error has not returned, but it was so random when it did happen that it may take a little while longer to declare it officially gone. We shall see. Thanks for all the replies.
    Still working ok for you? Did you need to login to download the upgrade, because I cannot seem to find it without logging in, and the other IT guy here doesn't return for a week yet (from vacation), and he has the login info.

still working.. ::Fingers crossed:: I have installed the patch on a couple other affected computers and they also have not experienced the problem again.

Since I was unable to find the log in to McAfee enterprise support I actually just googled for the filename of the patch and found on another website. I am sure that is technically not the right way to get it, but I had no other choice at the time.

still working.. ::Fingers crossed:: I have installed the patch on a couple other affected computers and they also have not experienced the problem again.

Since I was unable to find the log in to McAfee enterprise support I actually just googled for the filename of the patch and found on another website. I am sure that is technically not the right way to get it, but I had no other choice at the time.
    Well, I found our grant number and logged onto the Corporate support, but they only thing I can find on there is the entire download of McAfee 8.0i with patch 13, which is a pain because you must do an uninstall/reinstall. I sent an email to McAfee asking how I could obtain just the patch, and if I can push it out.

I'll let you know what I find out. I did uninstall and reinstall the new version with the patch on a few laptop users here and they seem to be happy so far.
    Last edited by 3fingersalute; August 10th, 2006 at 12:43 PM.

Good luck, I just discovered that the McAfee AutoUpdate architect on my server here is not running. When I try to manually pull the updated DATs from McAfee I get an error message that stated "Failed to initialize iNet session" or something like that.

I also cannot add patch 13 to the AutoUpdate architect because it fails on importing that too. What a pain.